PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Crappie . Com on a Kindle

Clint
07-30-2015, 07:39 PM
I use my laptop most of the time to access the forum but have a Kindle Fire I use once in a while.
On the Kindle I get what effectively is a Pop-Up saying I have a virus on my android phone (Kindles use an Android operating system). I can close it and that takes me out of C.C but it comes back the next time I access C.C from the Kindle. I have Malware Bytes software on the Kindle and it shows no virus. Is anyone else seeing this on android devices?

huntinslabs
07-30-2015, 07:42 PM
I dont on mine.

"G"
07-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Malware Bytes is a programm to scan detect and quaranteen malware...or spyware. A virus is somewhat different. You really need to download and install a anti virus program....You can get a free version of Avast for your android....Its good .....just Google free Avast for androids and go from there.

RMGeorge
07-30-2015, 08:20 PM
​I use a Nook (Android) almost exclusively to access the forum and have never had a problem.

slipperyrock
07-30-2015, 08:23 PM
I had the same problem on my android phone. It used to go to a mobile site new it goes to the full page.

Clint
07-30-2015, 10:17 PM
I downloaded and ran Avast. It showed no viruses. I will continue to watch it.
Thanks

armyman
07-31-2015, 06:28 AM
I had the same notices on my android phone about being infected. Contacted my wireless provider and asked. Was told by the rep that she gets it on her phone also. Bottom line........trying to sell us something. I still get the notices, and I just ignore it. My phone has always worked fine, and still does. Ifn it ain't broke.........don't fix it!

NJcrappie
07-31-2015, 08:17 AM
I have the same problem. I'll download the avast. thank you for the info.

tahoe 50
07-31-2015, 11:04 AM
I have a Kindle fire HD, Samsung s5, and an LG tablet. I have had no problems using any device. I do use Tap Talk. Works great. I am posting this on my S5.

Clint
08-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Well Avast showed no viruses and Malware Bytes came up empty also - but - I can not open any thread on CC using my Kindle without getting the "Your phone has 13 viruses" notice. The only way out of it is to close the window which takes me out of CC. There is a clickable link in the page that pops up but I am of course not going to do that.

CrappiePappy
08-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Well Avast showed no viruses and Malware Bytes came up empty also - but - I can not open any thread on CC using my Kindle without getting the "Your phone has 13 viruses" notice. The only way out of it is to close the window which takes me out of CC. There is a clickable link in the page that pops up but I am of course not going to do that.

Clint .... from what I've read, it sounds like a fake Anti-virus scam that you may have picked up through an app that you downloaded.
Definitely DON'T click on the link to start the program, as it's only going to do a fake scan & then try to sell you a removal program/tool that's really only downloading the malware program into your KF.

I'd call customer service & have them talk you through a reboot or suggest a downloadable program to rid you of this problem. It's not a "virus", per se, so anti-virus programs aren't going to help you get rid of it.

... cp :kewl

Jethro
08-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Same thing has been happening to me for several months on an android phone, android tablet, and windows phone, all with antivirus programs running on them. Does not happen when I am on a laptop computer or desktop. It only happens on Crappie.com, no other web sites cause this problem, consequently, I don't visit the site much any more unless I happen to be on a computer.

glasscat
08-02-2015, 09:24 PM
I have been dealing with the same symptoms as Jethro. However, my handed down android is only used for WIFI. I do not have a phone connection. Talked to my son, found out how to delete cookies and problem solved.

johndeere5045
08-03-2015, 03:06 PM
I have the same problem on my Android phone. Never happens on my desktop or laptop. I have deleted everthing on my phone, it still does it. It just happens on C.com. I just deal with it, because this is my favorite site to visit!!!!

Slab
08-03-2015, 05:54 PM
I'm charging wifeys kindle right now to try it. She's not used it in a while, so I'm hoping it'll take the charge. Tried to power it up while pluged in and it won't stay on. Have to wait and see.

"G"
08-03-2015, 06:44 PM
From what I hear its a pop up that says you have a virus and if you click on it....they try to sell you a anti virus program.....Thats what my neighbor tells me anyway, he clicked on it. Don't have a clue where its coming from. I have Avast for mobiles on my android phone and have had no problems.

SeaRay
08-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Question for you tablet users. Can you print from any of the tablets? We have laptops with wireless printer now. My wife has the Apple tablet which she uses 95% of the time unless she has to print something. My laptop fell off it's stand last night and cracked the screen, so I need to replace it. I like the portability of the tablets but we need a way to print occasionally.
Thanks
Searay

Slab
08-03-2015, 07:23 PM
I'm on wifeys kindle right now and don't seem.to.be having any issues. Except maybe with my.punctuation but I think that's just my fat fingers.

Slab
08-03-2015, 07:25 PM
You should never get a real pop up on crappie.com. if you are I'd suspect a virus or adware. I'll keep testing with the kindle for a while and see if it continues to work for me.

glasscat
08-04-2015, 07:39 AM
After clearing my android, I reinstalled crappie.com. It now shows up under vBulletin. Before it was the same screen as my computer. You might try clearing cookies and not just history.

lowe175
08-04-2015, 12:54 PM
I'm having the same problem. I've tried everything it only temporary fixed it . I can only use the mobile version of the site. Again it's only cdc. I just gave up.

Slab
08-04-2015, 01:46 PM
I keep testing with wifeys Kindle, and am not seeing any problem. Sorry about that guys. I'll keep using it till I see something, but it's hard to fix something that I can't replicate.

Clint
08-04-2015, 01:54 PM
II can only use the mobile version of the site.
Where/How do you get the mobile version?

lowe175
08-04-2015, 11:24 PM
No problem slab it's probably not the site . Clint just clear your phone /kindle and the mobile will come up first don't go to full site. It's not a good but it's all I got.

Slab
08-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Where/How do you get the mobile version?

I use an app called "ForumRunner" on my phone. I like it a lot. Tapatalk works too, but I don't really like that app. They make unpredictable changes way too often.

Then there's the Mobile "style" that comes with Vbulletin (Vbulletin is the actual forum software). On some browsers the Mobile Style is automatically bought up, and you can switch to "Full Site" at the bottom of the page.