Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Rod Suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Rod Suggestions

I am looking to purchase 4 trolling (spinning reel) rods in the 8 foot range. These rods will be used to troll crank baits in sizes that are poplar for crappie and trout and mostly be fished with 10 pound braid and fluorocarbon leaders. I would also like for these rods to double duty and be able to pull these same baits on a downrigger. Are the popular crappie trolling rods suitable for use in a downrigger?

Any specific suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Northwoods has an 8.5 footer that would work fine for cranking. I use them in my set up. They are cheap but have good backbone.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

I second GS's suggestion and also suggest
    the 6.5 to eight foot medium action Ugly Stiks which I use for both crappie, and walleye.
    I also paint the ends of my rods florescent green, and florescent orange.
    Last edited by Cincinnati; 07-30-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle limit series. 8 10 or 12 ft. 60 bucks for 4. Cant beat em. I use 2 10 ft.ers in my spread for cranks

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of starting a new thread, let me jump in here. Gander mountain has their 12ft light action crappie rod on sale. Regular price 70.00, on sale for 40.00. Anyone use these and specifically for trolling? Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I found 4 ambassador 5000 reels in the basement and got them cleaned good. So instead of the spinning rods I will be getting casting rods. The local tackle store here carries ugly stik so I will try to match these reels with a medium action and see how they feel. I'm hoping the medium action is strong enough for a deep diving crankbait?

Post Thanks / Like

A little pricey, but the PST's are very tough. I have 16's, 12's and 8's for 5 years and never broke a tip. Perfect for cranking and pushing heavy weights.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The medium action Ugly Stick trigger rods work fine, I've been using no 4 7' CAL 1100 rods for years trolling deep diving crankbaits for crappie and walleye. I have most of the PST series of rods that I pull with but the Ugly Sticks are always in the boat and have proven durable.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  15.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  15.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  38.4 KB
    After looking at a lot of rods this week...I picked up 2 of these BPS 1028 downrigger rods. They are medium action and 7.5 feet. These rods seem to match the reel better than anything else I felt but at $30 each...they were more than I wanted to spend. After I put them to the test I may pickup 2 more of the 8.5 rods. I feel pretty confident these rods will work great on the downrigger and pulling boards...just hope they are sensitive enough for just pulling small cranks....we will see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I found 4 ambassador 5000 reels in the basement and got them cleaned good. So instead of the spinning rods I will be getting casting rods. The local tackle store here carries ugly stik so I will try to match these reels with a medium action and see how they feel. I'm hoping the medium action is strong enough for a deep diving crankbait?
    haha, I wish I could find 4 ambassador 5000 reels in my basement, haha