Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crawler harness

Post Thanks / Like

Default crawler harness

hey guys,
    been trolling for gills with a crawler harness, that has a small blade, with a double hook setup, using Berkely 3'' trout worms, and been catching alot of crappie with it, which surprised me.

anyone ever done this, or use any variation of this rig to catch crappie ?
    just got my thinking...

thx,
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We walleye fish Lake Erie A lot...... Pull a lot of worm harness behind inline weights and plainer boards ....... I did tie up a few single hook worm harnesses to try to crappie fish with, down sized the blade, used the appropriate weight ( bullet type sinker a lot of bass guys use on Texas rigs ) and either used minnows or jigs on the hooks. I did very well in the warmer months...... When the fish wanted it moving at a good clip ....... have never exclusively pulled just them ....... Usually had a spread with cranks or jigs in the mix...... Have always done good targeting suspended fish that want it moving at a decent speed..... I do still keep several in my long line ( tackle ) boxes....... They will definitely work....... If your fishing waters with saugeye or walleye you'll get an occasional bonus one ....... It's definitely been a higher speed - when the fish are suspended- warm water - long line trolling type pattern for me ......... That's my experience any how ....... have also pulled them behind jet divers with fairly decent success...... But 99% of the time the simple bullet weight got me deep enough.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naturenut View Post
    hey guys,
    been trolling for gills with a crawler harness, that has a small blade, with a double hook setup, using Berkely 3'' trout worms, and been catching alot of crappie with it, which surprised me.

anyone ever done this, or use any variation of this rig to catch crappie ?
    just got my thinking...

thx,
    Not yet. I have a couple dozen rigged up. Just need to finish a few things on the boat remodel and I will be giving it a try.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I actually started doing this same thing a year ago. I have hundreds of crawler harnesses tied up for trolling Lake Erie and Lake Huron. I have quick change clevises set up on all of them so that I can change the blades from one size to another. The larger the blade, the slower you can go and the more vibration it will put in the water.

A lot of times, we do this mid summer and we like to troll overtop of weed patches with weeds that extend to within 2-3 feet of the surface. We get our setback right and we can troll the harness directly over the weed beds or flats. Started doing this for mid summer perch however we quickly learned that the Crappie love them too!

Thanks for reminding me on this one, Been a year since I last did it. Gonna have to give it another go in the next couple of weeks.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post