Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bank fishing in Fall season

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bank fishing in Fall season

Do crappies come to shallow water and under dock/pier in Fall?

Also, I would like to use jigs instead of minnow.

Does crappie bite jigs in Fall?

I am doing my home work on how to use jigs under bobber for crappie. I do understand that dark color for stain/muddy water and light color for clear water.

Thanks in advance for helping this newbie bank fisherman.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GA ANGLER View Post
    Do crappies come to shallow water and under dock/pier in Fall?

Also, I would like to use jigs instead of minnow.

Does crappie bite jigs in Fall?

I am doing my home work on how to use jigs under bobber for crappie. I do understand that dark color for stain/muddy water and light color for clear water.

Thanks in advance for helping this newbie bank fisherman.
    Black Crappie generally follow the Shad migration back into the creeks/coves during the Fall. White Crappie tend to stay on the channel ledges. The Black Crappie won't come "real shallow", but they will suspend at the same depth as the Shad schools (or just below them) and docks/piers in deep water make a good ambush point.
    Crappie will also hang along rock cliff banks, waiting on the Shad schools to work their way by as they travel from the main lake to the creeks (and back out).

Jigs will work just fine in the Fall, or any other season for that matter. A 1.5" to 2" plastic body on a 1/16oz jighead can be fished from 1ft to 30ft deep & catch Crappie.

NOTE: I know nothing about GA lakes, and all my info is referring to fishing a East Tenn highland lake. SO, you may have to tweak that info to fit your waters. You might also want to post your questions on the GA state forum ... not asking "where" to fish, but more about "how" to fish & "what with". Success when fishing from the bank is usually directly related to what banks you have access to, and at what stage of the Crappie's migration travels the fish are at when you go.

... cp
    Likes IceNitro LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

In the fall, be sure to try some really huge baits, too. I have some jig bodies that are 3" for fall fishing and sometimes big ol slabs will go for them in a really big way!