Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-1-2005

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1-1-2005

caught 21 crappie keepers, 10-13 inchers on jig and crappie niblet under a bobber. Seems to be very productive. Can't get them to bite now without the niblet. What are your experiences with niblets?

Post Thanks / Like

BC,

I gots to be honest witt ya. I never was much of a believer in the nibblets but I gots a good friend that is a big wig up @ Berkley and he was always telling me these stories about how fish reacted to them in their tanks at their research facility. Well, I was a doubter anyway.

However, the first time somebody put it on me fishing behind me (them with a nibblet, me without,) I was quick to change.

To make a long story short......I won't drop a jig in the water without one on it now.
    'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Post Thanks / Like

hey bruce, i've seen your posts on the mo cafe. glad you joined the site.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Carp
    caught 21 crappie keepers, 10-13 inchers on jig and crappie niblet under a bobber. Seems to be very productive. Can't get them to bite now without the niblet. What are your experiences with niblets?
    Hi Bruce and welcome to Crappie.Com. I have tried crappie nibbles and crappie bites. I've yet to catch a fish on one. I guess the crappie in our cyprus stained waters just don't like them. I'll give them one more try when I go to Kerr lake this march. If they don't work then, they're off to the trash can.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSHN

Don't throw them away send them to me. I seem to have good luck with them on Mark Twain Lake in the kingdom of Bruce C.

Post Thanks / Like

Nibbles suck, turn your carpet green or what ever color you use. Falls off if the jig hits a dock. Kodiak scents will out fish nibbles from what I have seen. Plus with the new smaller jars but still the same price, kodiak is cheaper and last longer. The kodiak is no mess and no stains in your boat carpet. I have pulled all the jars out of my box and put them on the shelf for good.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Yep! I like 'um!!

:D Hey Ted, I will take them off your hands to free up some shelf space when I get down to fish with ya! I also use Kodiak's paste, but their soaking scents is the bomb! If you are not using that too, you are missing something Ted. Fish Formula also has some excellent stuff too. I will even use Yum's (Shad) purple juice too when I am fishing with their plastics.

Bruce Carp, welcome to the boad. About nibbles... like the old American Express commercial, "Don't leave home with out one"

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 01-05-2005 at 11:23 AM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

i'm like ted, i like the kodiak scent a little better than the nibbles. i think both work well, it's just the mess that they make. i still use nibbles some though.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

slabtroller Guest

We've tried them all and have settled hands down on Kick-N-Bass crayfish scent for crappie. Every jig and even minnow get dipped in it before first hitting the water. Wonderfull stuff, made by a chemist to catch fish. It flat out works!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long and Short of it!

Short Answer: They work and I catch many more fish with them on my hook as opposed to not having them on my hooks:

Long answer:

OK I am ready for this one now. I went to my dad's house and found the copy of Outdoor Life June 1984 that had the first article on Dr. Juice. The Artilce is called "New Juice that BRINGS FISH!". Now you might say "what does Dr. Juice have to do with Berkley's Crappie Nibbles? Well they both have a lot in common with each other. If it were not for the Sucesss of Dr. Juice we would not have a lot of the scents we have today for bass, walleye and crappie. Dr. Juice was the Original Scent if you discount all those fowl smelling catfish conconctions and corn for trout.

You see Dr Juice is a real medical doctor who also liked to travel around the world as well as he liked to fish. So when he traveled around the world to South America, Southeast Asia he paid attention to what other fishermen were using to attract fish to their hooks or nets. He studied different languages also so that he could communicate with these other cultures. He discovered many witch doctors or shamens were using herbs to help not only heal people in their villages but the same herbs were used to help the people catch fish. Soon Dr Juice was bringing home new concotions from all around the globe and putting them under the microscope so to speak. He used modern scientific methods to discover the ingredients found in these herbs. He would isolate the most powerful ingredients and then manufacture them in larger quanties and test them on salmon during his fishing trips in Alaska and other spots. He called these plant extracts Kairomones.

Eventually he started researching the chemicals that the prey species gave off and he called them Pheromones. Now I was familar with the term Pheromones as I have learned that lots of insects give these pheromones off to help them attract mates. A male moth can zero in on a female moth by following the faint odor of the Pheromone trail that she gives off into the breezes. He uses his antenna to follow the trail of these tiny chemicals in the air. Today we use these same type of insect pheromones to help us trap pesky insects. A trap can be built and the target insects pheromones placed inside the trap and it will attrack all the males in a given area to the trap. Those males can then be sterilized and released back into the population to decrease the numbers of the pesky insect.

Minnows also give off a FEAR pheromone when they are being chased and they are frightened. Predatory fish learn this when they feed and chase the minnows. It's the chemical equivalent of the scales of the minnows floating in the water attracting other fish to the area. The sight of the tiny minnow scales floating in the water triggers other predatory fish to the area as well as the smells of the fear pheromones that the minnows give off. The predatory fish are TURNED ON to feed and become agressive. So the theory goes.

Well Dr Juice spent many years testing his elixors before he started letting some of his close friends try them out. He made different formulations for different species of fish. My dad first ordered some Dr Juice back in 1984. Now at that time I was not very good at fishing with Plastic Worms. I had read what to do but had not put much actual time on the water practicing the art of worm fishing. Besides were were crankbait bass fishermen back in those days and only fished for crappie during the crappie spawn. We noticed right away that by adding some Dr Juice to the crank baits that our catches went up. I mean they really went up. I started adding Dr Juice to my small crappie sliders and the bass went nuts. I added Dr Juice to my 6" long motor Oil colored Plastic worms and I started getting more bites and catching more fish. I had never really caught a bass on a plastic worm until I started using Dr. Juice. Seeing was beliving. I still have the same bottle of Dr Juice in my tackle box. I need to order some more.

I have a strange feeling that the ingredients in the Crappie Nibbles today work in much the same way.

Oh and I found out anohter thing by reading this article. The chemical in humans that put the fish off is called "L-serine". Men put off more of this L-serine than do woman and kids. Some men put off more of this L-Serine than other men. But this chemcial when put in the water will cause salmon to turn down stream and swim away and get out of the area. This is one of the reasons why it pays to wash your hands before fishing and to use fish attractants to help negate the effects of L-serine in the water. When you understand how fish smell and how the nerves in a fish's nose are wired directly to the fishs brain you will see how powerful the sense of smell is to fish and to humans as well.

Dr Juices real name is Dr. Greg Bambenek. At the time the article was written he was a medical director and practicing psychiatrist at a private clinic called the Human Development Center in Duluth, Minnesota.

Do a search on the net for "Dr. Juice and His Amazing ELIXIR" and see if you can find anything on this subject. I have not tried to perform this search myself so I have no idea what you may find if anything.

Today I use Crappie Nibbles for crappie fishing and save the Dr. Juice for what little bass fishing I do. One small drop of Dr. Juice that is allowed to dry on a crankbait will do the trick. You can also add some soft spongy material to one of the treble hooks then add some Dr. Juice to it and it will stay on the bait longer. Don't dilute the stuff as it's made to be concenctrated and only one drop is all it takes. If there are fish in the area then this stuff will get them to biting your lures faster than anything else I have ever tried.

When you read the article you will find that many state record fish were caught by people using Dr. Juice fish attractant on their presentation.
    • 1979-A Minnesot state salmon record
    • 1981- A 21 #lake trout that took first place in the Lake Superiour, Trout/Salmon Derby.
    • 1982-Three of the top five lake trout, top Chinook, and the winning Atlantic Salmon in the Lake Superior Trout/Salmon Derby. A number of 20# steelhead on the West Coast
    • 1983-First place lake trout in the Lake Superior derby. First and Second place lake trout in the Two Rivers Kiwanis Trout & Salmon Derby. Same boat had 12 other lakers to 15 lbs.
    Guys this stuff works and it's been proven to be very effective

Berkley also has studied the effects of different chemicals on fish's behaviour and that is why their Berkely Crappie Nibbles work so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Carp
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast