Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: planer boards

Post Thanks / Like

Default planer boards

I'll admit I'm way behind the times with this technique, spent some time researching them this weekend and the cost. 180.00 for 4 . has anyone here had experience with them and is the investment worth it? I'm on a highland reservoir and late summer the fish I'm seeing suspend on bait and are in deep brush. thought they might be another tool in my boat? also when fish start going shallow in spring before they go to the bank may also be a game changer? Have witnessed crappie surface feed in the fall may be able to pull small light jigs behind them as well? Love to here the pro's and con's of planer boards? if this has been hashed out here before I missed the discussion...sorry? later LB P.S. brand of boards would help me investigate deeper..
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

$180 for 4??? Are they gold plated?

Check with tenncrappie on the Tenn forum. He builds a great board for a whole lot less. Unless you are pulling big deep-diving cranks you don't need a huge board. I use the Opti boards with flags from Northwoods Outlet for big cranks.

Opti TackleĀ® The Ultimate Planer Board w/Working Spring Flag System
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes yikess LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I run boards all the time. Not just for crappie but for Walleye, salmon, steelhead and so on. I think the price point you are looking at is if you were going to purchase like the OR12 planer board with tattle flag system from offshore.

That is my personal board of choice but that is because I use them for way more than crappie fishing (was pulling 4 just yesterday on Saginaw bay walleye fishing). The tattle flags are great tools that work really well on all kinds of fish.

For what you are looking to do, I recommend the Offshore Mini Planer Board. It is called the OR34 and is duel purpose (meaning it can be switched from port to starboard applications). They come ready to go for $17.15 each directly from Off Shore. These board are a lot lighter and smaller but can still do damage on the larger fish. I recently read an article of someone using them on the Keni river in Alaska to get the lures away from the boat targeting large Salmon.

If you have any specific questions, please contact NickD. He is the vice Chairman for Offshore Tackle (his father Bruce Started the Company). Offshore is a member sponsor of our site and I have shared a few crappie camps with them. They sponsor several guys on the crappie tour circuit and are always innovating new tips and tricks for catching crappie with these things.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

If I decide to purchase I do want to pull crank baits too. Will the smaller board accommodate ? I'm all for saving money

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The Lil' Hustler boards will accommodate up to a 200 Bandit sized crank. You will have to go with a larger board for the 300 bandits or the c55s many of us use. I know Chris (tenncrappie) has been working on a slightly larger board that will allow one to run both small jigs up to deep diver cranks.

I wouldn't hesitate to pull small jigs and curlytails up to big cranks behind the Opti boards. Hard to beat their price.
    Last edited by M R Dux; 07-27-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I had the opportunity to pull the smaller size Opti over the past couple of weeks and they did a great job. They call it a medium and I pulled it in perfect formation with an OR-12 and the equivalent Opti (lg) they and never missed a beat. The medium uses the same flag and clips as the large and does a great job of pulling a 300.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't have any issues pulling the cranks with the OR-34 boards. That being said, please keep in mind that I don't have experience with the other boards that some of the other members have mentioned so I really cannot make a comparison between the two. I have used some other boards that are not mentioned however they were inferior to the offshore boards (in my opinion) so I didn't really need to bring them up.

Hopefully you are able to gather as much information as you can and make the best decision possible for yourself.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I use crappie reaper boards. They work good and are very easy to clip on and off. They plane out good and no need for tattle flags. They hand any crank bait I have used on them from 300's to the Chinese cranks to flicker shads.

Post Thanks / Like

I firmly believe if you are going to purchase planer boards get the best that will last a fishing lifetime: Off Shore OR-12's! The Tattle flag economy kit (Or-12's come rigged with the clips you need) will help detect light bites. These are the same boards that We used to win the Crappie Masters National Championship in 2013. After using planer boards for over 20 years as well as "testing" most all other boards out there - the choice for me is crystal clear. If you want to "compliment" your planer board line-up, add a few Off Shore OR-34's - I use them a lot when dealing with a system that has a lot of juvenile crappies and other small fish.
    Take a senior or a kid fishing soon!
    Likes "G", Slab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy its your info on you tube that has started my search! Thanks for sharing all the info. Again the crappie community has surprised me, another reason I left the bass world. In the last 3 years I went from a minner dipper to a fly tyre, jig maker soft plastic junky! I have become infected

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast