Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minn Kota trolling motors rock - tips on repairing one and a caution

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota trolling motors rock - tips on repairing one and a caution

I've used MK tm's for over forty years and until last year never had to repair one - in my case two.

Getting schematics is easy from MK in Canada and getting help by phone and e-mail is great. Not too many companies do that (including John Deere for my riding mower).

One of the motors had a grinding sound in the lower unit and I decided to pull it apart. After sanding and oiling the metal casing the magnet rotated in and getting a new seal from the company, it worked great once reassembled properly. That's where a needed advice and got it.

The other unit had a burned out speed module in the top case and I ordered one and installed it. The prop turned fine in the basement or so I thought until I tried it out a few days ago. The fifth and highest speed turned the prop slower than the next speed down. After taking the top cover off, I discovered where two wires were shorting, insulation melted. Once taped and rerouted, good as new! At least now I now why the draw was higher even using the tm at lower speeds.

It's not rocket science but still something that requires proper reassembly and testing. Now I'm wondering if my Kipawa prop will be okay seeing as how MK recommended not using the three bladed prop.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Where is MinnKota saying to not use a 3-blade prop? I've ran my Kipawa since my Terrova was new with zero issues.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I asked the service rep and he wouldn't recommend it. Not sure why.