Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2" plastic tube

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2" plastic tube

Is 2" plastic tube or any 2" plastic lure too big for crappie?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my jigs are 3"

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just right most of the time. Like county I fish a lot of 3 in baits. Them fish eat bigger shad than that.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot. I am just learning about jigs. Looking at Strike King tube as this moment. I hope these tube work. I fish at stain/muddy water.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GA ANGLER View Post
    Is 2" plastic tube or any 2" plastic lure too big for crappie?

Thanks in advance.
    Not hardly, no.

I caught a Crappie on a 4" plastic craw, and I've seen a Crappie caught on a 1oz Spinnerbait.

Also had a friend of my fishing partner tell us that he was catching Crappie on 3" twin tail grubs, a week before we went down to fish that lake. We didn't have anything that big, so we threw 1/16oz Roadrunners & caught fish.

People catch Crappie all the time with crankbaits, the body of which is generally 2-3" long (not counting the bill).

I use 1.5 to 2 inch plastics for most of my Crappie fishing (casting, trolling, Spider Rigging). A buddy of mine uses 2" plastic bodies on his jighead, then adds a large minnow on the hook (Spider Rigging). If you consider the lead head of the jig as another 1/2" of length, then you can see that the overall length of the baits can be from 2" to almost 4". And we both are subject to catching Crappie that aren't much longer than the baits we use .... including crankbaits

Fish don't know how big "they" are, they're just concerned with getting their big mouths around whatever edible critter happens to present itself as an easy target/meal, or one that excites them into a reaction strike.

... cp

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot. I am just learning about jigs. Looking at Strike King tube as this moment. I hope these tube work. I fish at stain/muddy water.
    Take a look at the Southern Pro Umbrella tubes.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my plastics are 2".

I don't know that size matters that much though, I watched a 9" bluegill hit a 5" wacky worm when fishing with my cousin last month. I don't know how that gill though it was going to eat such a big worm but it tried! Crappie have pretty big mouths so I would guess up to a 4" body would probably still work depending on how big the crappie are that you're targeting.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been catching fish on 2" plastic grubs on 1/16 jig heads pretty good to the point they have been out fishing minnows. Yesterday I caught good on strike king triple threats, Tennessee shad and black chartruse. This morning I ordered 10 packs of 50 2" grubs of various colors from Southern Pro. Very similar to strike king at half the cost. I'm building my confidence up to get away from minnows, especially this time of year, all together.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Is black body/blue tail a good colors combination for muddy/stain water? My thought is since those two is dark color, thus more visible under water.

Post Thanks / Like

Is black body/blue tail a good colors combination for muddy/stain water? My thought is since those two is dark color, thus more visible under water.
    In my limited experience I would think so but I like a little chartruse some where in with my dark colors.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast