Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Got skunked

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got skunked

Yesterday I decided to take my boy fishing for the day. We first headed out in town to fish the rivers, but it was over crowded on shore and in the water. With temps reaching 98° everybody with a boat was out, making shore fishing with a float near impossible. So, late afternoon rolls around and I decide to take a 35 minute drive up to my favorite lake for crappie fishing. This lake can produce some amazing fish, even holds the state record for Black Crappie (4lb 1oz).

But, as many of you know by now, California is solidly in its 4th year of drought, this foothill lake at under 1000ft elevation has been hit really hard by it. So, on top of the really low waters, it was also a half mile hike from the parking area to a suitable spot to fish from shore! Located a brush pile that was holding some fish and had signs of surface feeding activity, but, beyond just a bite or two, never hooked into anything.

The boy had a great time exploring and being a 5 year old, which meant I had to keep an eye on him much more than my float.

Anyways, here's a pic illustrating how low the water is here now. Fishing can still be good here if you can locate structure by boat, but shore is difficult.

I hope to get back up there in the float tube soon, even if the water is 80° I still have tested wear waders as leaches and swimmers itch has gotten terrible in the low water conditions in these coves.

-Alexander
    My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night. But ah my foes, and oh my friends - it gives a lovely light.

Post Thanks / Like

Boy that's tuff fishing right there for sure.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! I have seen advanced weather forecasts for Cali area, prepare for a long winter of rain.

Around me (Central Illinois), everything is flooded. We normally flood to some extent in the spring, winter thaws. However this year our spring rains started in early summer and just stopped. We are well above normal flood plain for the spring, and it's the middle of summer. Our summer temps just started to roll in. I suspect we will have another long cold winter full of snow.

Now is a great time to mark all your favorite fishing spots, make spots, etc. That lake will come back to normal pool. Prepare for years of great fishing now. Take pictures so your son will know what is under water when he gets older. Show him what you built together, then teach him how to fish it as he gets older.
    Last edited by Hanr3; 07-28-2015 at 10:58 PM.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!