Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just a little reminder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a little reminder

After forgetting to check my batteries or just putting off checking them I bought a gallon of distilled water (never use regular water) the other day. It is just a dollar at most stores. Well when I checked them they did need quite a bit of distilled water to refill them. My batteries are just 2 years old and I had been putting this off for really no reason. It is a good thing because if they had ran dry I would have had to buy more batteries and that would have just been my fault for not checking them. Don't forget to maintain your marine boat batteries. A lot of marine batteries say they are maintenance free, but they still need maintaining as to the checking of electrolyte levels in your battery.Marine batteries are pretty expensive and there is a need to get as many years as possible out of them. It is just easy to forget to check as we go fishing and just plug the charger up when we're through fishing for the day without a thought that maybe the electrolyte level has gotten low. With summer time right now it is even more important that this is checked. Just be careful when doing this battery maintenance because this is a acid so wearing protective glasses and rubber gloves is recommended. Use distilled water to refill them and be careful not to overfill also as the electrolyte's need room to expand in the battery and not overflow the battery.Another tip to keeping your battery terminals free from the green corrosion is to clean them and put a good coat of thick axle grease on them afterwards. I hope this helps some people save their batteries and money.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-20-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes "D", chaunc, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good heads up info.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this, as it reminded me to do the same. And yes, one battery needed it. While I was in the mood, went ahead and changed the foot oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reminder. I need to check mine as well.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!