Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fish Out-O-Water... As Best I Recall -- Another Drawing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish Out-O-Water... As Best I Recall -- Another Drawing

I'll try to be as brief as possible, but this post comes with a bit of foundation or a short story: I remember a particular winter day on the water while crappie fishing when it seemed like the bait fish were everywhere at one of my favorite lakes and the sky was full of dive-bombing and loudly squawking seagulls too. Having picked the area where I planned to fish a few days before and thinking little of all the activity that I found when I arrived; I would soon learn that no matter where I tried to set up to fish the area I just couldn't seem to get away or at least stay away from all of the action going on. I tried moving around several times to positions just outside of the main activity, but each time, soon after setting up, it was no time until it was all around me again. It was becoming clearer to me by the minute that between being completely distracted by the "go-zillion" bait fish and the very real possibility of getting hosed down with seagull droppings if not pushed to madness by their endless squawking and low flyovers... the day was shaping up to be quite unproductive for fishing and/or for finding any bit of the peace and quiet that I was expecting.

Amazed by what I was seeing around me, I grabbed the digital camera in hope that I might get at least a couple of descent pics of the baitfish as they broke the surface in what I can only describe as well synchronized evasive bursts that occurred from time to time in every direction. I knew the bait fish were not only being terrorized from the air by the seagulls, but they were also being even more viciously terrorized by some unseen hoard of much larger predator fish from down under. It was very clear that all of the creatures I was seeing were in full panic mode and in the midst of a ravenous feeding frenzy unlike any I had ever seen.
    I remember thinking that the whole scene was very much like something you might expect to see on the National Geographic Channel or perhaps in a far more sinister Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Well, I soon realized that there was no way that I was anywhere near quick enough with the camera to capture any of the things that I was seeing before each fleeting opportunity was gone as quickly as it would appear and just a whole lot quicker than I could get the camera up and turned in the general direction much less squeeze the button slow enough to satisfy the auto-focus feature. This went on for what seemed like 30 or 40 minutes at a time or longer when I was about to give up on the whole idea of getting any pictures at all, when suddenly, I again heard the chatter of bait fish to my right and was just able to snap my head around in time to see something pretty awesome happen. A good sized Largemouth Bass (I'm guessing 8 or 9 pounds) suddenly busted the surface no more than ten feet from my boat breaching about a foot over the surface of the water slinging a couple of live shad from his bucket-like mouth, but not missing a single fin beat when he again touched the water as he quickly dove again and disappearing from my sight. YOU GUESSED IT... STILL NO PICTURE... UNTIL NOW!!!

Name:  Fish Out-O-Water Drawing.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  37.7 KB

Since that day, I have often regretted that I couldn't get any pictures of nature in action that I was so fortunate to witness that day. What can you say? It is what it is I reckon... no pictures and only a few keepers that day... but, still such an awesome blessing, nonetheless, to have witnessed such a spectacle in the natural so up close and personal while enjoying and witnessing God's awesome creation.

You just gotta' love stuff like this... I know I do. Of course, since I have had the sighting of that bass burned in my brain until it has finally inspired me most recently to attempt to recreate it by way of this drawing and in as much of the same detail as I can recall. Since putting it on paper, I can now freely share it with you and others that may have an interest. I am calling this drawing in graphite and sepia colored pencil "Fish Out-O-Water". Admittedly, it's still nothing at all like seeing this up close and in person!! I hope you see it as interesting and as much of a treat as I have since that day. Please take a moment to let me know what you think.
    Good Luck to You All & May God Bless You & Yours,

Wayne aka Special K
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

You are truly blessed with a very special talent that could only have come from God. All men see things but few have the gift of perception. Not only do you have talent but you are a just, honorable, compassionate and full of mercy Christian. In my book that makes you special. Bless you my friend. Hold on to your dreams Wayne. Higher heights are ahead of you.

Mike

Name:  All thinga are possible.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  58.7 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Special K, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

WAYNE, GREAT TALENT,I HAVE SOME GREAT MEMORIES BUT THEY ARE ONLY STUCK IN MY MINE BUT GOD HAS BEEN GRACIOUS TO LET ME SEE AND EXPERIENCE MANY THINGS,TO GOD BE THE GLORY,GREAT THINGS HE HAS DONE
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes shipahoy41, Special K LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Wayne,

You are truly blessed with a very special talent that could only have come from God. All men see things but few have the gift of perception. Not only do you have talent but you are a just, honorable, compassionate and full of mercy Christian. In my book that makes you special. Bless you my friend. Hold on to your dreams Wayne. Higher heights are ahead of you.

Mike
    I appreciate the response and the kind words Mike. Speaking of artwork and painting and such: Did you ever have a chance to check out that Kevin Hill Youtube stuff I told you about?
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    WAYNE, GREAT TALENT,I HAVE SOME GREAT MEMORIES BUT THEY ARE ONLY STUCK IN MY MINE BUT GOD HAS BEEN GRACIOUS TO LET ME SEE AND EXPERIENCE MANY THINGS,TO GOD BE THE GLORY,GREAT THINGS HE HAS DONE
    Thanks for taking the time to comment and for the kind words too genec. I believe accumulating good and special memories that one can look back on, share with others and be thankful for is really what part of the test of this life is all about. I think maybe you might be graded on how much you appreciate the truly good and meaningful things in this life and how thankful you are for them all... what do you think?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    I appreciate the response and the kind words Mike. Speaking of artwork and painting and such: Did you ever have a chance to check out that Kevin Hill Youtube stuff I told you about?
    Yes I did. His lessons are easy to follow. I told the people at church to You Tube Kevin Hill and they were impressed also. Great video.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Special K LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Boy Howdey
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

SMOOTH!!! Very nice.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome you got me wanting to draw something now you really are talented sir!!
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger View Post
    Boy Howdey
    Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    SMOOTH!!! Very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald@CrappieLogic View Post
    Looks awesome you got me wanting to draw something now you really are talented sir!!

Appreciate you taking the time to respond guys. Go ahead and break out the sketch pad Donald. It is such a great form of stress relief and relaxation to me that I highly recommend it to everyone.