Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best minnow bucket/cooler recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best minnow bucket/cooler recommendations?

(For the heat) Engel, Frabil, homemade...?
    I don't normally use minners but times have changed it seems. I know aeriator pumps are problematic. What'll keep em alive longer?
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 19 quart Engle minnow cooler with an aerator pump this year. I really like it and it's worked good so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I also bought a engel and love it. I usely buy 10 to 12 dozen every time I fish and it keeps them very lively.
    Likes Rees Guide LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I dont fish in the 100 deg temps like some, but i use a 5 gal bucket with aerator and a "trolling" minnow bucket in the front livewell. I only put a net scoop in the bucket and keep the rest very lively in the livewell on intake. Fresh lake water coming in and overflowing back out on a timer. You can hang the bucket over the side of the boat also.

Check the water often, if it gets over 90 fatheads start dieing.

Post Thanks / Like

Engle. Period. It is insulated and can keep minnows alive for 24 hours easily as long as you have air going to minnows. The battery operated pump that comes with it can be disconnected and you can connect directly to a boat pump if you have one. If it is hot out the cooler keeps the minnows cool with the insulation and it holds over a pound or more easily without bunching them up and dying. It is about $50 for the cooler but well worth it when you figure in how many minnows have died too soon or were almost dead because of the heat.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes dkb23 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

How's the battery operated pump noise wise? Some of em will drive ya nuts and it's a short trip nowadays.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
    How's the battery operated pump noise wise? Some of em will drive ya nuts and it's a short trip nowadays.
    The marine metals HUSH BUBBLES aerator is the quietest by far, that I have found. The ones that come with the Engel aren't very good.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Round drink cooler (ie gatoraid) is the best. Swirling water is good for the minnows and the drink coolers have thick insulation but you will have to set up your own aeration. The big volume helps too. That said, those engels are nifty and much easier to pack and require no modification.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: I use a Aerobait minnow bucket, been going for over 8 years now. It's insulated and has its own pump built in. Uses 2 - D cell batteries that last 3 - 4 days if ran constantly. Have tried Frabil buckets , they are junk . One only lasted one day and the aerator was shot. Good Luck . O - R

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 13qt engle. I fish 3x per week and put a pound of minnows in that cooler each trip. Run the aerator and keep frozen water bottles in with the minnows. I freeze up about 5 and keep switching them out when it's this hot. Set the whole cooler in my garage fridge over night and I can keep them alive for days. Oxygen system would be ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast