Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Questions

1) I have 2 batteries in my boat, both dual purpose, one for the trolling motor and one for cranking the outboard. I understand that you charge the trolling motor battery after each use. Do you normally have to charge the cranking battery, or is it recharged sufficiently by running the motor?

2) What's a good portable battery charger?

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't have to charge the cranking battery if you get a chance to run the motor fairly often. If its sitting in the garage like mine, it wouldn't hurt to hook up a charger just to make sure its ready-to-go. I've got a built-in Minn-Kota charger that works really well, I think they also make a portable one.
    Fillet and Release. Team Crisco.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get some kind of 10 amp charger but stay away from Walmart. You wont be pleased. I'd go to a Napa store to buy one if it were me.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunato
    1) I have 2 batteries in my boat, both dual purpose, one for the trolling motor and one for cranking the outboard. I understand that you charge the trolling motor battery after each use. Do you normally have to charge the cranking battery, or is it recharged sufficiently by running the motor?

Charging the cranking battery depends a bunch on your setup and the way you use the boat. How big is the outboard? Do you run livewell aerators? How often do you fish? Crappie fishing usually doesn't involve the long outboard runs that recharge the battery like bass fishing usually does, so you are more likely to need to top the battery off when you get done. Anytime the boat sits for more than 30 days, you need to charge all of the batteries.

As to a good charger, look for a three or four stage charger. Phrases like "Smart Charger" and "Float Charging" are good, while "Trickle Charging" is bad.

This is a good one for about $59 http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-600a.html

as is this one for about $75 http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-1200a.html

Post Thanks / Like

i have a die-hard "jump-pack" portable. it is intended for if your battery is dead, it will jump it. i dont know if that is what you are looking for, you can also run 12V appliances off of it too.

but if your battery is in good shape, if run your motor that battery should hold its charge for weeks.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Generally speaking .....

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunato

Your cranking battery needs charging, just like your TM battery, as most outboards do not replace enough charge by themselves.

I've used Schumacher battery chargers since 1970 .... currently have/use a Shumacher Deep Cycle 10amp (6v/12v) charger.

"Portable" jumper batteries are not "battery chargers" ... they're just a small battery & jumper cables in a portable unit. They won't "charge" your battery, they just "assist" in jumpstarting it.

....... cp