Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 7/17/15

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 7/17/15

The weather folks predicted windy conditions today with 10 - 15 mph winds which would be ideal for our "speed drifting" technique. So, this is what we did today, launching around 7:30 am in cool air (53 degrees) and calm conditions to start the morning off. Water temp was 73 degrees and the surface was glass smooth. Not ideal for us by a long shot. But, you play what you are dealt, so we made the best of it all. Forced to do a lot of casting vs. drifting, so that's a different physical strain as some of you know.

I was very anxious to get out for crappie, after receiving the generous amount of lures from the Charlie Brewer Slider Company a couple of weeks ago in the contest here. These plastics were all paddle tail types, something we don't have a lot of experience with. Gotta tell you folks, these things are incredible!

Hottest colors/type was 1 1/2" Crappie Grub (aka Slider), in blue ice/chartreuse tail. It just killed them today! Also had luck with the motor oil glitter w/orange tail (something I would have never thought about trying!). We also used the "glo" grub and one of my all time favorite combos, the bubble gum w/chart. tail. Also caught some crappie & bluegill on the 2 1/8" Slider Minnow, in lemonade/chart. glitter. But we need more time to experiment with this style of plastic. A bit bigger than what we're use to.

I've fished paddle tails before, but the rub is that they usually are not consistent with their actions. These grubs, however, move with very slow retrieve speeds all the time! Incredible, like I said.

Anyway, enough with the endorsements, we ended up with 110 fish for the two of us, pulling off at 1:15 pm. All were released. We quit mainly due to the lack of wind and heat, forcing us to do a lot of casting. My arm will be dead for a day or so for sure. Of those, 69 were crappie, 39 bluegill, one largemouth bass and one pickeral. Not bad for a morning of fishing if I don't say so myself. If we'd have had the predicted wind, I'm sure we could have easily broken our previous record of 134 a few weeks back. Here are some pictures:

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  Rich_3.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  Walt_2.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  Rich_4.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  Walt_3.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  115.9 KB

Life is GOOD!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Brimfisher, "D" LIKED above post

Brimfisher is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is one heck of a morning. Congrats.
    Create Memories Worth Repeating, Go Fishing With Your Dad.
    www.brimfisherjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, great report, thank you for sharing. And cool mention of one of our favorite sponsors. 110 fish by 1:15, wow. This story is going on the home page for sure.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. Told you them Sliders work. Glad to see such a great report using Sliders. Thanks, guys. "D"
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both