Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Tampa

I live in Nebraska but the Iowa DNR does such a great job with the lakes in Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Moving to Tampa

I am moving to Tampa and looking for a couple of good crappie (I'm speck) lakes. I will be fishing from the kayak for a while until I get a boat. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Hit up fishin813 and yelim on the Florida board. They live on that side. But do not overlook the saltwater fishing in the Tampa area from that kayak. Stellar fishing is to be had. Plenty, plenty, plenty of fishing opportunities from the kayak in Florida everywhere. Not great without a boat of some sort except surf fishing but a yak or canoe opens up some great stuff.

I live in Nebraska but the Iowa DNR does such a great job with the lakes in Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks huntingslabs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieTim View Post
    I am moving to Tampa and looking for a couple of good crappie (I'm speck) lakes. I will be fishing from the kayak for a while until I get a boat. Does anybody have any recommendations?
    I hope you're planning on fishing the salt, too.

Lots of good saltwater fishing in that area.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I plan to chase some redfish and trout

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to trout and redfish I also intend to try my hand at this new exotic fish that I hear lives in Florida. I think that they all it a Speck

Post Thanks / Like

They not exotic, plenty to go around, just not sure of the Tampa area. Harold and Miley should be along shortly, I put a link on Florida board for ya. On the salt google "microskiff" great forum with a bunch of guys local to the Tampa area. If you can get a feller named Ducknut pinned down, listen very close to what he has to offer as well as shadowcast and anytide. When ya moving down? Things will start to turn on here mid September for Specks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    They not exotic, plenty to go around, just not sure of the Tampa area. Harold and Miley should be along shortly, I put a link on Florida board for ya. On the salt google "microskiff" great forum with a bunch of guys local to the Tampa area. If you can get a feller named Ducknut pinned down, listen very close to what he has to offer as well as shadowcast and anytide. When ya moving down? Things will start to turn on here mid September for Specks.
    I start my new Job on 8/3. I am looking forward to hitting the crappie down in Florida. It has been a lean year up here in Nebraska. It rained all spring so I completely missed the spawning bite. For some reason I have not caught a ton of crappie. I have had a banner year with the gills catching several over 15". I am pretty sure that I through back an Iowa State record gill a few weeks ago without thinking to have it looked at.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck on the new job. Fish around a while here before buying a boat. Figure out what and where you will be spending time. The west coast from Tampa thru the panhandle is not very friendly to glass boats. Tons of rock and oyster formations. If yer off on Saturdays and have settled in by October and dont mind a long early morning car ride to the other side of Orlando, your welcome to hop a seat in my boat some Saturday if ya dont mind longlining.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget your are nothing but gator bait in the canoe.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast