Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: arkie double curly tail lures

Post Thanks / Like

Default arkie double curly tail lures

I bought a few of those at Walmart the other day in a lime green color. Guess they are about 2-3 inches long . What size hooks should I use with them for crappies? What other color might be good? They had a rootbeer color and a white also.

Post Thanks / Like

1 or 1/0

Post Thanks / Like

1/16th oz jighead with a 1 or 1/0 black nickle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!! I almost picked up some of those but just wasn't sure they weren't too big.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Biggest hook I ever use for Crappie is a #2 Aberdeen. Only 1/0 hooks I own are for 4" plastic craws & 7" worms for Bass fishing

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

pappy...why do you go for the smaller size?? to keep from ripping their lips?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/16th oz head with #2 hook longlining them. Honestly have much better results fishing the Bass Pro Cajun Critter over all the other twin tail grubs.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fastfish View Post
    pappy...why do you go for the smaller size?? to keep from ripping their lips?
    Nah ... ain't worried about ripping lips, as it seems that most of the time I hook them in the roof of their mouth ... especially when casting. Trolling & pushing jigs is when I'm more likely to lip hook one, but even then my 2" plastics on a jighead with a #2 Aberdeen hook will bring them in. I've yet to have a fish bend the hook open & get off, and the #2 hook is big enough to leave enough gap for a good hookup, even on the thicker 2" plastics.

I really don't consider a #2 Aberdeen to be a "smaller size", seeing as how I came up from a #4 hook on my 1/32 & 1/16oz jigheads TO the #2 size for both heads (on my custom poured unpainted weedless jigheads that I use when casting). The other jigheads, that I have for trolling/pushing, are also custom poured (by a different member) and have the same size hook (#2) & are painted. The main reason I even went up to a #2 hook was because I was also up sizing the plastics I was using, from 1.5"-1.75" to 2" and larger ... and wanted the larger gap between the hook point & plastic bodies.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

#4 hook with a 1/16 or 1/32 oz. jig is standard in my book. Even going to a #6 will still get good hook sets as long as the lure isn't too long (1 3/4" is about the longest with that hook size). I had to downsize lure, jig and hook size to catch a large number of perch today and some of the 40 or so crappie I caught yesterday.

A double tail that large might need 1/8 oz to obtain the retrieve speed you need depending on depth. (A topic I'm going to start),