Anyone do it ?? If so , How ?

Post Thanks / Like

sent pm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brushnjigs View Post
    sent pm

Why?
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to do it a lot in the wintertime 30 years ago, long before anybody thought up some fancy name for it.

I used my bass baitcasters to target schooled crappie on drops. I would take a 1/2 oz bass casting sinker and tie it to the end of the line, come up about 18 inches and tie off a short loop and put a #2 or #1 bronze Aberdeen minnow hook with a shiner minnow hooked from the throat latch up thru the top of the head. I wasn't worried about the minnow being lively, that was up to me to provide the movement.

I would position my boat on the shallow side of a drop that I had marked fish on with my Lowrance 1510c paper graph. I would cast to the deep side of the drop then hop the minnow rig back up the drop. Caught some big stringers of big crappie while everybody else was either duck hunting or sitting next to the fire.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Idunno LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cmj View Post
    Why?
    +1 why pm? Didnt ask for a gps coordinate or any info other than technique.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a stickie about knots and rig drawings. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ups-beginners/ I am sure drop shotting is in there somewhere. I believe that for crappie in waters up to 25 feet you are better using a slip float or Kentucky rig method.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the spin shot hooks made by VMC for drop shotting ( line twist can be a pain in the rump when drop shot fishing ).......have drop shot fished Erie for smallmouth and various places for large mouth...... Have tried it a few times crappie fishing and did pretty ok....... Fluro carbon line or braid with a Fluro carbon leader is good....... A rod with a really fast action is a definite....... Done well drop shotting the lake fork ( crappie ) swim baits or the bobby Garland scent wigglers....... Usually in summer on main lake structure and cover ........ Or when fish are close to bottom tight to cover.......

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Florida , The St. Johns River which is shallow except for some holes 6 to 12 ft , was thinking in the summer heat drop shot might work ???

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RiceRocket View Post
    I fish Florida , The St. Johns River which is shallow except for some holes 6 to 12 ft , was thinking in the summer heat drop shot might work ???
    6-12 foot I would still use the slip float method for more sensitivity and the reaction time when seeing the slip float twitch or move.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never drop shot fished consistently any shallower than 5 fow to be honest ....... I'd be more inclined to throw float-n-fly / jig-n-bobber , swim a 32nd oz jig, or vertical jig with a real long rod in that shallow of water ....... If your talking about dropshotting the deeper holes it'd be worth a shot

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast