Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop shoting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop shoting

Does anyone here like to drop shot for Crappie in the winter? Here latley it's the only way I can catch a good mess. I like the eagle claw rigs you can buy at wal-mart, what does everyone else use?
    I fish the ledges and drop offs with them and have seen some success. In some cases I had to drop them down to 40' to get bites!
    I'm glad to see fishing is good elsewhere as well! Winter can really suck at times!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Default now that is deep

Man JT, I could only imagine what it would be like to catch crappie in 40' of water I have never caught crappie in water over 25' I sure would like to learn how though
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ?

Where and which Ocean are you fishing? haha
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I have not done any drop shoting for crappie yet but have thought about it many times. Do some drop shoting for bass though.what was your set up?
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I may try the drop shoting here on my home lake this winter. It's deep and clear.

I was having trouble catching them the other day, (1/1) and was marking lots of fish on structure and cover down on the bottom. I never caught a crappie down there but I did catch a green carp at 54 feet deep.

That about doubled my all time deepest fish I had ever caught. It did however tell me that some of the fish down there almost had to be specks.
    'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Post Thanks / Like

Default I drop shot all the time

using the KY Lake rig as it's called around here. Been doing it for over 40 years too long before it was called drop shotting.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee King
    I have not done any drop shoting for crappie yet but have thought about it many times. Do some drop shoting for bass though.what was your set up?
    I buy an Eagle Claw Crappie Rig from Wal-Mart for around a dollar. They have a swivel at the bottom of the rig for a weight and two leaders for hooks and a swivel to go to your line. This time of year I use minnows. I use jigs when the pre-spawn starts heating up!
    Beaver Lake is very deep. Up by the dam it is about 260' deep! I usualy fish where the average depth is 50' though!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dang!

All these years, I thought I wuz "bottom bumpin". Learn something new here every day.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks J.T. i know exactly what you are saying. my next scheduled trip is in febuery you bet i will be drop shoting! Thanks again.
    Ian
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

I like the dropshotting system....just started using it this winter and have caught the majority of my fish with it. I like to tie on two jigheads or #2 aberdeens, one 18 inches above the weight and another 18 inches higher with Rosie Reds (no tubes on the jigs). I use the palomar to tie the hooks and jigs, seems I can't keep the dropper loops from snagging and tangling. They like the disturbance on the bottom.....don't know if it's the noise or the silt when the weight is gently bounced on the bottom, but it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast