Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie in the Great Lakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie in the Great Lakes?

Just curious, does anyone fish for crappie in the great lakes? I'm sure they do along the edges, but does anyone catch crappie at, say 5 miles out into Lake Michigan are there crappie way out there? Just curious. Have a nice evening.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught crappie in the marinas ice fishing in zion Illinois never heard of any out deep. I trolled for salmon 12 miles out and only caught salmon

Post Thanks / Like

I caught some slabs in Hammond Marina. the only places they're caught in the south end of lake michigan are the harbors. Also perch, rock bass, smallmouth, a rare northern pike, and salmon/trout in season.

Post Thanks / Like

There are crappies around the marinas in Erie pa and around Presque Isle, but In all the years I've fished lake Erie from Erie PA to Buffalo, and what little I've fished Ontario, and Michigan I've never caught one or seen one caught. I know they are there though. I've also never heard of guys catchin them out where they get those jumbo Erie perch in the deeper water.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes crappie in the great lakes. I was lucky enough to find some eire slabs last season. Biggest crappie i caught come from eire last spring. Was fishing at night western basin marina area under the lights. Problem is these fish seem to move around very quickly. Caught a few very fast then gone. Hard to find fish consistantly but they there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why?

Yes there are some, butiots not that big a fishery, most guys are after the salmon and trout, and npw smallmouth bass, and walleye are showing up in lake michigan.Every once in awhile, I kick myself for leaving nothern indiana, but after 20 minutes of fighting traffic, waiting at ramps, geting sea sick on big waves, and blown off the water, ky looks better, and my smaller 18 ft deep vee, does not tow as hard as my older boat, and the fuel costs would have killed me, but its nice to sit back and remember.