Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Vintage Zebco 33 disassembly/repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vintage Zebco 33 disassembly/repair

Today I picked up a 1980 Zebco 33 anniversary edition. This one is just like my older models with the metal foot, screw type drag adjust and everything.

I paid only $1.00 for it because it barely moved but nothing was broken or anything, just a little bit of spotting rust on the outside, some varnished grease inside and now after an hour of basic cleaning and lube it functions quite nicely! BUT, the drag does not pay out line. As dirty and grime as this thing was, I know it's probably just filthy inside the drag assembly. But how do I remove the spool or whatever is needed to get to the drag stack to function?

I've checked Mikes reel repair and every schematic on his site is for newer models with the drag wheel on top of the reel body, mine has a thumb nut type screw near the reel foot that adjusts drag.

Anyone done this repair before? I've searched on here a bit and am not finding what I need.

-Alexander
    My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night. But ah my foes, and oh my friends - it gives a lovely light.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, well I got the spool to let line out. It's a bit stiff and jerky right now, but able to work with 8# line. I pulled the nose cone off, pulled the winding assembly off and then just dripped some pent rating oil on the edge of the bushing in the center of the spool. After letting it sit for a couple minutes, I grabbed the spool and tried to spin it so it would work lose. After about 15 tries or so, it's finally loose now!

So, it's functional, and cost me only $1.00 and some time on a Sunday afternoon when I can't go fishing.

-Alexander
    My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night. But ah my foes, and oh my friends - it gives a lovely light.

Post Thanks / Like

Best oil I've found on the 33's is Rem gun oil, and it doesn't take much!!!!!! I get the squeeze bottles of grease at WalMart that look like bellows and a very light coat will do you fine. The 33's up to the early 90's were really good, but they made a change to the inside cone with the line catch pin and the reel cover and they would bind up really bad.

The new ones that came out last year have fixed that problem and I'd recommend them again, got my grand daughter one and she loves it. Here's a link to the new ones for anyone looking:
    33® Spincast Reel

Always look for the older ones at the flea markets, most times all they need is a good cleaning.

Great buy on the 33 Anniversary it's a great reel!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like these older 33's for sure, I've handled some of the newer plastic ones and I'm not impressed. I've gotten quite acquainted with tuning the innards of these older ones, it's just this is the first one I've had the drag stuck on. It seems fine now, not sure I would trust it for 4# line yet, but 8# and on a medium light rod will do just fine for bass and such.

I'll always buy one of these for the little money they demand at flea markets, not so much on ebay though. Never know when you get to take a greenhorn out fishing!

-Alexander

eddieb is offline Keeper - Sponsor * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the drag button turn , If not take the back cover off , and you can see in side , look to see if it is rusted , if there is no rust or dried grease , remove the front cover then the spinner head by turning it counter clock wise , then you will see a flat clip with a screw , loosen the screw and slid the clip , the spool will slide off , then you can clean the in side , I use these reels for Trout& crappie fishing , I hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I got it working now, the brass guide on the screw was completely backed off the end of it when I initially opened it up for cleaning. Once I got it all cleaned and adjusted the spool wouldn't pay out line. I just dropped a couple of drops of penetrating oil down the center of the spool, it worked loose and is now functioning.

But, for future search purposes I think any and all info on here is great.

-Alexander