Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: We've come a long way baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Default We've come a long way baby!

Back in the '60s I was a devout trout fisherman. A local legendary bait shop owner agreed to tie up a specialty rod for me to use just for trout. I selected a blank (from Netcraft) that was 8' long and rated as a "wet fly" action, tubular fiberglass construction. I had the bait shop guy make it into a spinning rod for me as I was past the fly fishing phase of my fishing progress. It had a Tennessee style handle and I use to tape on an old Johnson Century, under spin style, down by the butt of the cork. State of the art in those days!

Caught a lot of trout with that rig, using 2# test Trylene monofilament (another advancement at the time). Anyway, I dug it out and decided that, gee whiz, this might make a nice crappie rig! I wish I could tell you that all went well, but alas, after using graphite rods with braid and fluorocarbon lines, this rig was a real "PIG" to cast with! Talk about a heavy, non-responsive rig. Can't imagine how I loved this rig so much, so many years ago. Guess I'll give it to one of my grand kids to beat up. Can't hurt it now.

Figured you guys might enjoy the story.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, I started fly fishing on an old 8'6" tubular glass rod, when I got older and bought my first graphite rod I wondered how I was able to cast that thing at all?! It's amazing how much different those thing feel, also how much they weigh!

-Alexander

Post Thanks / Like

If it was me..I'd hang it on the wall, some place that it will be seen a lot..when the grand kids ask about it, you can tell them stories of the times and places you had with that rod..that is how memories are relived..far better than beating it up......YMMV bill
    Likes Tom 513, Ferdi LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I started on an Old Eagle Claw, yellow fly rod. Thought it was the cats meow back then!!!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!