Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Motor Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor Question

Found a 2.5 Mercury..... I was thinking of possibly getting it to use on a few restricted lakes and to use where you have to rent a boat on some local lakes.
    I have an older 9.5 that is about wore out on my 14' 32" alumacraft . I know the 2.5 won't break any speed records but will save some battery getting to the spots I want to go.

Another thought was to use it to troll with off the back of my g3 175.

Any one have experience with one of these?

I think the plus is the bulit in tank and the portability of it when you go to a lake where you have to rent a boat. With my 9.5 I have to tote the gas tank as well......

My next question is what is a good price? I believe it to be an 08 with no hours on it. The guy says it was to big for his nu canoe. He is asking $675 I see new ones vary from $800 +

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Can't give you any experience w/ one, but the 2 ways you would use it makes sense to me! Price sure sounds right.

Post Thanks / Like

You could probably buy it a little cheaper. I have a 2.5 Tahashu bought
    new in 08 for $800.00. I made a mount for it to troll long line. It sits
    beside my 150 Johnson,I have fished this way for years using various
    small motors to troll with.

Post Thanks / Like

How big is the internal tank? On a 27 foot race boat I crewed on for years (express 27 sailboat) we had a 2.5 Honda with internal tank as our harbour motor. Nice and light for mounting and removing from the transom, but we did modify the cap to take a fitting for an external tank as it didn't have enough for a long power out to the race course. It had a centripetal clutch and no reverse which was nice and in calm water could push that 2450 pound boat at a steady 6 knots. But, we also tried it on a zodiac and found it wasn't ideal, with an efficient hull shape and low drag those small motors do well, also, with little wind they just don't have the guts to do much either.

-Alexander

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor Question

How old is it? If it's a newer 4 Stroke, its built for Mercury by Tohatsu ( Same exact engine). May can get a new Tohatsu with a 5 yr warranty for just a bit more. The Merc only comes with a 3 yr warranty, and cost more.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.