Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night fishing questions....?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing questions....?

I'm about to gear up and head out to the lake to do some night fishing, I am 99% of the time a bank fisherman and I gotta tell ya....these summer months are tough! ​for crappie....basically since mid may I have gone out multiple times and have only caught very small non keeper crappie, like 5" crappie lol. Not only are they small but few and far between! Really sucks! Tired of getting skunked! I know it's been tough because its summer time and they like to hold in deeper water during the day which I cant get to because I'm on the shore! I have read and heard that crappie will move into shallow water during dusk and at night to feed. Which is great for me because it will give me a chance to net a few! But my questions are is this true, do crappie move into the shallows at dawn and dusk? If so, how shallow we talking? Well I'm about to head out, I sure hope to bring home atleast a few for the frying pan! Thanks.

-GEO

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could help you - Im in a boat and still havent caught much so far this year. Try a lantern or floating light to get the baitfish there. If there cruising the shallows theyll gather there and eat the baitfish. Sounds good in theory anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain, im stuck on the bank too. Even fishing structure in the deepest water I can find usually only gets me gills and sometimes a small bass. Crappie are tough in the summer from the bank.

Give us a report on how night fishing went.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with ya man, I fish the docks at night and rarely get one over 10". But we catch 5" to 8" ers all night long. I've tried the green and white lights but only catch more 5" to 8"ers.

hang in there, only 72 days til fall

Post Thanks / Like

Anywhere on the bank you can get to flooded timber? You could always cast out under a float to the timber and give that a try...

Post Thanks / Like

If there is any bridges that you can under the concrete pillars can usually be a good holding point and generally they are set in deeper water.