Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my boat project

Post Thanks / Like

Default my boat project

this is my boat/project, it is a 1972 starcraft supersport. i LOVE these old boats...my first was a 16ft 1965 starcraft...i still miss it to this day. the older starcraft is a very well built boat, and alot of them have been hauled off to die. this one i bought from a friends dad, who had it stuck up in the woods for near a decade without a cover or anything. the thing is mint as far as damage from hitting rocks. barely a ding or scratch, let alone a gouge along the bottom.

i think it was a rental unit, because everything possible was labeled on it. the key for the ignition for instance...now who the...needs a label on their key?? at the bow of the boat there was a label that said "make sure drain plug is in before launching", like i said... everything. i would imagine if folks were renting it and put a deposit on it, they made extra sure they didnt peel any rocks or stumps. i got it home and started cleaning it out, and 24379lbs of mouse/chipmunk/squirrel crap and hazelnut shells later i was able to start work on it. first thing i did was fill it with water over the floor line and then poured about 5 gallons of simple green in there and just let it stew out in the sun for a week. urine aroma no more! she then got flipped and got 2 fresh coats of paint.

on to the trailer, powdercoated the axle, hubs, fenders and all the hardware. sandblasted and painted frame. carpeted the bunks front and back, and added carpeted side bunks. put l e d aerials on the fenders. replaced all the rollers...made new, longer axles to fit the old bracket holes and bushed them with pvc to center. new wheel bearings, races and seals in the hubs. made new mounting plates for the tail lights, then rewired new l e d tail and running lights. made new hardware for the bottom bunks to allow some movement to follow the contours of the boat bottom. the old ones were non-forgiving, bolted in place.

then came the floor. i tore it all out and put a new 3/4" reinforced deck in it. found some new/old stock lund pedestals and got some tempress seats. this is as far as ive got for now, just ran out of time. i hope to build the side lockers, finish out the bow and do the front deck soon. i wouldnt mind actually takin the old girl out some day!

here are some pics, a progression of where i was to where i am.

Name:  queen2.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  43.0 KBName:  queen3.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  40.5 KBName:  queen4.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  51.1 KBName:  qt1.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  48.6 KBName:  qt2.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  127.5 KBName:  queen6.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  44.8 KBName:  queen7.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  45.3 KBName:  queen10.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  43.8 KBName:  queen11.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  107.9 KBName:  queen12.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  40.0 KBName:  queen13.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  115.0 KB
    Likes Glenn, varmithunter, RWiske LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Man you got that thing goin on along! I cant wait to see the finished product!

Post Thanks / Like

Man that looks like fun! One of my favorite things to do is refurb old boats. May make that my retirement hobby/job. Lookin good! Keep the pics coming!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job on a good ride. Keep us posted.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! That trailer rehab is awesome!! Nice to see the results from people doing what they love!!!

Post Thanks / Like

very nice, looking good

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 64 .
    Gutted it and completely rebuilt it.

Full camo with a 50 honda on it.

Btw where you live??

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys...i live up in central wisconsin machine

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a solid vessel for sure!! I did a restore on an old 15 foot Alumacraft Wide Body Jon, so I know what a massive project it can be, but I enjoyed every minute of it.
    Now you know every boat has to have a name, so don't forget to name her... after all it brings good luck.

Nice job in progress... you'll get a whole lot of enjoyment out of it when you're finished. I know you can't wait to get some slime on her.

Thanks for sharing.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

H2ohammer, that is awesome. Especially the trailer. You da man. I have a 1972 Richline 16' Aluminum semi V that I customized about 25 years ago that I am still using. I keep thinking of selling it to upgrade but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. So I keep adding new stuff to it here and there...I just keep getting more attached. Keep those pics coming. Love em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast