Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help picking a combo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help picking a combo

So im new to flyfishing, just learned how to do it over the summer while on vacation.

I loved it and now want to get a combo for Gills and maybe Bass.

So my first question is what weight I should get? I was thinking 4 or 5, but what do you guys think?

Second, What combo would you guys recommend me getting? I still consider myself a beginner, and since I won't be using it a whole lot. I'd like to keep it $80 or less.
    Since i'm only 14 and don't have money lying around and don't yet have a job, I plan on saving money till my birthday in the fall and practicing with my outfit over the winter.

Any recommendations/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Cabela's Three Forks combo:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barga..._SEQ_105764580

For $69.99, it's a steal. Jump on it while it's on sale.

I'd get the 9' five-weight (4 piece), but the 8'6" five-weight (4 piece) would also be good.
    Likes KYfishing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The Cabela's outfit is a good one or you can find similar combos at BPS and might even see if LL Bean has one on sale. I bought my first combo from them. I would go with a 8 or 9 ft. 5 or 6 wt. If you decide to get into Bass fishing in heavier cover the 5 or 6 with the longer rod will be good but it handles poppers and flies for bream as well.
    Here is a good site to pick up a combo pack of bluegill flies. https://www.breambugs.com/

Some folks get too snooty about fly fishing. It can be done very effectively on an outfit costing less than a $100 and a dozen flies and poppers with give you all the fish and fun you could ever want. You may want to get into tying flies also. A real simple fly to tie is the Griffin Gnat and it will absolutely kill bluegill or any panfish.
    Just keep it simple and have fun.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes KYfishing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYfishing View Post
    Thanks guys!
    If you buy a 4-piece rod, I will send you a case for it -- free!
    Likes STUMP HUNTER LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to fly fishing!!! I have been fly fishing for over 30 years and have almost exclusively fly fished the past 10 years. Started tying flies about 15 yrs ago.
    Great advice from these guys. You do not need the high dollar rods to be successful. My wife bought me a yellow eagle claw our first Christmas together 20 years ago for $20 bucks. I paired it with a $20.00 reel and wore out some fish with it. Still have it don't use it much any more it's more of a sentimental thing now. MY friend just bought a similar eagle claw for $30.00. Before that I used a Shakespeare Fly rod and reel I bought at the Shakespeare plant in Columbia, SC for $ 15.00. Still got that one and use it too

If you want to get into tying check out your local outdoors store for free classes. Our BP in Prattville offers free fly tying demo's every week.

Good Luck
    Likes STUMP HUNTER, KYfishing LIKED above post