HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pushin with southern crappie rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushin with southern crappie rods.

We use tightline specials and psts to pull with and we use 16ft southern crappie rods for spider riggin. Thinking about pushin some rather than pullin for the obvious control benefit. Planned on 3oz and bandit 300. Anybody used southern crappie rods for a similar set up? If so how they do?

Swampseed is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't think they are the rod for pushing. I asked Ed about pushing cranks when I ordered some 14's from him and said not for pushing cranks.
    Thanks sappsman thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't speak of the rods, never been around them other than the 8' a friend has. As for the bandit, I don't think you need a 300 while pushing. I use a 200 at the largest lip size and Rattle traps and Cordell spot work good too. The bigger lip will cause more drag and put more stress on the rod. Just some input .....Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I am pulling with a pair of 14 Southern Crappie Rods in my set up and they do fine for that but they aren't designed for the 3 oz weight. It would most likely work but you would look like me the day I was pushing 3 oz weights with double rig minners at Enid with some 16 foot BGJPs rods were pointed up at a pretty good angle and the tips were on the water. All the rods I had with me and the fish just wouldnt hit if I got slower than 1.2. The tightlines you speak of are excellent for pushing.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have Tightline and PST those are the ones you need to push with. Both are designed to carry heavy weights. Southern's will not Cary that kind of weight.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

To me there is zero advantage using 300s to push. The whole idea of pushing cranks is control of the level the bait is running. 300s are going to be running much lower than your weights and putting a lot of strain on any rod you choose to use. The 100s and other shallow runners are much better suited for pushing.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Rees Guide, dallman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Swampseed's comment made me realize that the obvious thing to do is ask ed. So I emailed him this afternoon and he replied in just a couple hours and confirmed what you guys are saying. He also said he is currently working on a 14' rod just for pushing. Said guys using his current line of rods are only able to add about 1oz. Guess that means we'll be buying some more tightline specials.