PDA

View Full Version : Can't Go Fishing... So I Drew Some

Special K
07-02-2015, 08:58 PM
I used to love to sketch and paint and do just about anything creative, but as I'm sure you know, workload and all of the worries of life kinda' crowd things like this out; until several months ago when I decided that I would try to pick it back up again in what I affectionately refer to as my pre-retirement years and for whatever time the Good Lord allows me after wearing myself out so thoroughly during my working years. Recently, I’ve been trying to get back into some drawing and painting, but it’s been about 20 years or more since I’ve done any sort of artwork whatsoever.

Best I can figure, drawing is not quite like riding a bicycle, because it seems to be taking right much time for me to get my hand back on it again. It still seems so hard to find the time to do this kind of stuff, but since I have been boatless for about two years now; I guess I have subconsciously replaced actual fishing by working on fishing related drawings an hour here and an hour there; and I’m actually finding that it’s still every bit as much fun and a great source of relaxation as I remembered it was in my younger years. I guess you could say I’m fishing vicariously through all of your articles and posts on CDC, as well as through this type of fishing related expressionism, but (I know) (as you know) it’s still nothing like getting out there and feeling the slime and the thump first hand for yourself.

This drawing was actually inspired by an article I did on CDC some time back entitled “Why Fish School.” This is how I envision crappies might go about so proficiently foraging for "straggler" baitfish (shad) in the open water that may tend to venture too far from the main school. This particular drawing took almost a month and a half to complete using sepia colored pencil and graphite pencils. I am a bit unhappy that I lost a good bit of the subtle detail and shading when I took the digital camera shot of the drawing and then uploaded it to computer.

I would appreciate it if you’d take a moment to let me know what you think of it.

God Bless You All,

Wayne aka Special K

Joey Clark
07-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Great job very nice

Eager Beaver
07-02-2015, 09:38 PM
You do have a talent for it. EB

Cray
07-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Outstanding drawing.

Mikie
07-02-2015, 11:05 PM
I think it is GREAT

crappiewisdom
07-03-2015, 04:41 AM
Nice work...you are very talented.

wannabe fisherman
07-03-2015, 04:56 AM
theysaid:ThumbsUp

JET4
07-03-2015, 05:57 AM
very nice

chaunc
07-03-2015, 06:00 AM
Love it. Wish i could still draw like i used too. These old hands cramp up pretty quick nowadays.

Tony the Tiger
07-03-2015, 06:08 AM
Great job

RogerA
07-03-2015, 06:12 AM
That is great.

GreenEYESfromOHIO
07-03-2015, 06:26 AM
Wow that's awesome.....would love to frame and have on my wall! Well Done!

shipahoy41
07-03-2015, 07:03 AM
I used to love to sketch and paint and do just about anything creative, but as I'm sure you know, workload and all of the worries of life kinda' crowd things like this out; until several months ago when I decided that I would try to pick it back up again in what I affectionately refer to as my pre-retirement years and for whatever time the Good Lord allows me after wearing myself out so thoroughly during my working years. Recently, I’ve been trying to get back into some drawing and painting, but it’s been about 20 years or more since I’ve done any sort of artwork whatsoever.

Best I can figure, drawing is not quite like riding a bicycle, because it seems to be taking right much time for me to get my hand back on it again. It still seems so hard to find the time to do this kind of stuff, but since I have been boatless for about two years now; I guess I have subconsciously replaced actual fishing by working on fishing related drawings an hour here and an hour there; and I’m actually finding that it’s still every bit as much fun and a great source of relaxation as I remembered it was in my younger years. I guess you could say I’m fishing vicariously through all of your articles and posts on CDC, as well as through this type of fishing related expressionism, but (I know) (as you know) it’s still nothing like getting out there and feeling the slime and the thump first hand for yourself.

This drawing was actually inspired by an article I did on CDC some time back entitled “Why Fish School.” This is how I envision crappies might go about so proficiently foraging for "straggler" baitfish (shad) in the open water that may tend to venture too far from the main school. This particular drawing took almost a month and a half to complete using sepia colored pencil and graphite pencils. I am a bit unhappy that I lost a good bit of the subtle detail and shading when I took the digital camera shot of the drawing and then uploaded it to computer.

I would appreciate it if you’d take a moment to let me know what you think of it.

God Bless You All,

Wayne aka Special K

Wayne,

You have skills man. That is one of the best art drawing renditions of crappie I have seen I am sending you a PM.

I cannot draw or paint. This summer I tried my very first painting ever. Last Saturday we were at the Gulf of Mexico in Biloxi Mississippi with the family reunion when this masterpiece (to me) was painted. I am calling it "Lost on the beach." A starfish had lost its way and could not find itself a way back to the water so it is attempting to hide from the sun by the rock. You know the rock had heated up in the sun. End of story. It is impressionist art. That is my impression and I am sticking to my story. I welcome comments and critique. How do I improve this? Any suggestion would be helpful.

Mike

shuorc
07-03-2015, 07:12 AM
Beautiful picture.

drill instructor
07-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Amazing drawing!!! Im building a new home and would love one of your painting as the centerpiece of my man cave.

fastfish
07-03-2015, 08:19 AM
amazing drawing..used to draw some while I was in college and have also gotten away from it. You captured the movement and looks of a crappie perfectly! It's plenty detailed as sanned! Keeep it up..one day you might have a line of t-shirts!

fiveeyes
07-03-2015, 08:25 AM
looks good to me..darn good

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
07-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Love it. The crappie look outstanding, but I'm really struck by the baitfish ball.

kycreek
07-03-2015, 09:19 AM
You definitely have talent. Great work.

Donald@CrappieLogic
07-03-2015, 10:32 AM
you sir are really talented awesome artwork love it

vic n
07-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Wayne- if you feel quite a bit of detail was lost in scan/upload, then the original must be truly amazing. I've never been able to get my head around the process of turning a flat media into something that looks/feels so real. Especially a detail like the reflection back from the surface of the water!!! :notworthy

DockShootinJack
07-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Nice looking drawing

wilbur
07-03-2015, 01:52 PM
You sure have a talent. The only thing I draw is flies an skeeters. Draw up a nice sketch an send to Slab to use for T Shirts.

fiveeyes
07-04-2015, 06:16 AM
You sure have a talent. The only thing I draw is flies an skeeters. Draw up a nice sketch an send to Slab to use for T Shirts.

good suggestion!!

skeetbum
07-04-2015, 06:25 AM
Excellent. My Sister was one of one of 4 art diploma's from a class of over 300 and did some great work also. It's rare that I see someone that isn't a pro show the talent that you have. I need a ruler to draw a crooked line. Peg had all the discipline in the family that it takes to do what you do. As others have already said, I'd love to have a copy of it on my wall. Very nice work. Please do some more and look into having copies done for those of us who appreciate work like this.

Gabepeeps
07-04-2015, 06:43 AM
EXCELLENT! (Tapping fingers together like Mr.Burns!)

LowePro
07-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Awesome job! Im so jealous of your talent! I surely wish I knew how to do things like this....but I got the short end of that stick!

Special K
07-04-2015, 12:37 PM
I really appreciate all of the responses and the kind words about the drawing. I am actually planning to figure some ways to market some of this type of stuff such as prints and t-shirts and other useful and affordable things in the future and for wheneveer I retire to give me something to do besides fish, which I plan to do more of too, (by the way).

I will probably work for another two to five years after which time I plan to go more part time / full time into marketing and selling some of this stuff. Meanwhile, I am going to keep producing all I can of these types of drawings and paintings for that time... Lord Willing.

Thanks again and may God Bless You & Yours.

Wayne aka Special K

dennishoddy
07-04-2015, 02:05 PM
What a beautiful piece of art work. I'm totally in awe of someone with that type of talent.

genec
07-04-2015, 03:26 PM
LOOKS GREAT WAYNE,HAVE NOT SEEN U ON NC BOARD MUCH LATELY,NEED TO WRITE SOME MORE ARTICLE,HOPE U SOON GET BACK INTO FISHING,TOO HOT FOR ME RIGHT NOW,MAYBE SOON

shadboy
07-04-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm impressed

eagle 1
07-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Very nice , great talent . Will trade you a stick fish picture for it ! :ThumbsUp

johndeere5045
07-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Awesome drawing!!! As already said the digital copy is amazing. The original would be breathtaking. Keep us all in mind when u decide to sell some of your work.

dwaw
07-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Wonderful drawing!

Countryboy N.C.
07-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Looks real good to me, we miss you on the NC forum.

Slab
07-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Lookin' good K

chucktx
07-05-2015, 08:02 PM
very, very nice!!!!!!!

jaxsprat
07-05-2015, 08:17 PM
very nice drawing K, crappie are beautiful & bait fish are really fantastic............

lowe175
07-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Wow! Looks great

RetiredRR
07-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Impressive. You really should consider offering your works to the crappie.com community. I'd like something like this hanging on my wall. Would like to see that
art work on a crappie.com t-shirt too. Or, on any t-shirt for that matter. Photos never show the art in it's true light. Thanks for posting and sharing. :ThumbsUp
Oh, and if you can do this kind of art work, who cares if you can ride a bicycle or not. :highfive

bowhunter63
07-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Awesome

Special K
07-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Thanks again for all the continuing kind words and comments about the drawing. Hopefully we can put something together in the future to make some of this stuff available to those that want it.
I've always known CDC folks are THE BEST!!!

Erin Brewer
07-07-2015, 11:35 AM
That looks great!!!!

billyoungb
07-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Beautiful.

tahoe 50
07-08-2015, 07:36 AM
To Kool