Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: clinton 7/1

Post Thanks / Like

Default clinton 7/1

Well been on vacation and have not fished much lately so ran out to Clinton to catch some wipers. Tried getting some shad in the marina cove and they were very hard to find and very small, usually you can almost walk on them. Did not catch too many wipers but the drum and catfish were really biting, could not keep them off the hook so they were fun. some small white bass surfaced near dark as they were chasing very small shad and were in very small schools. When I got too the marina ramps there was nobody there, must be all waiting for tomorrow. A few boats put in late in the day.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

A few pictures from yesterday.
    Name:  20150701_154123.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  23.7 KBName:  20150701_181307_resized.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  48.0 KB
    Likes steveinsene, terrybassboat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Went again yesterday and the catfish are biting like crazy and again some real nice 5-10 lbers. They had eggs in them so they must be getting ready to spawn. The road of Clinton point was full of them. Using shad and the drum and wipers wanted to play also. I kept some nice 2-3 lb cats for supper and they were really good. My question is are the larger channel cats any good to eat or do you stick with the smaller ones?

gary
    Likes steveinsene, terrybassboat, fish4dug LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would not want any over 10 lbs to eat. Not sure about the comsumption advisory's in your state or that lake!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeepo View Post
    Went again yesterday and the catfish are biting like crazy and again some real nice 5-10 lbers. They had eggs in them so they must be getting ready to spawn. The road of Clinton point was full of them. Using shad and the drum and wipers wanted to play also. I kept some nice 2-3 lb cats for supper and they were really good. My question is are the larger channel cats any good to eat or do you stick with the smaller ones?

gary
    You found shad big enough to net? On average it is around late June, early July when I find them big enough to net. I was at Milford from Monday to Wednesday and could not find any large enough they would go right thru the net. Small schools and tiny shad but they were everywere if you looked very close. How is the water clarity at Clinton? Looking to fish it for a day next week.

In my opinion you kept the right size, for me they taste better and have better texture, now flatheads are another story, the taste GREAT regardless of size. Some of my favorite fish to eat but I rarely get to eat them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steveinsene View Post
    You found shad big enough to net? On average it is around late June, early July when I find them big enough to net. I was at Milford from Monday to Wednesday and could not find any large enough they would go right thru the net. Small schools and tiny shad but they were everywere if you looked very close. How is the water clarity at Clinton? Looking to fish it for a day next week.

In my opinion you kept the right size, for me they taste better and have better texture, now flatheads are another story, the taste GREAT regardless of size. Some of my favorite fish to eat but I rarely get to eat them.

yes I found some big enough to net and one school that were really nice, in the back on the marina cove but they are not flipping much on the surface so they are hard to find. The water color was fine not muddy at all. let me know when you are going to be there as I plan on being out late afternoons as I do not plan to fish this weekend. I will be a silver blue fish ski boat.

gary
    Likes steveinsene LIKED above post