Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does wind direction matter in summer on deeper fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does wind direction matter in summer on deeper fish?

As I fish more, I'm beginning to notice things like wind direction and my catch numbers. For Bass it isn't too bad, I chase the wind and catch fish on the windblown shoreline.

For black crappie in summer, I usually am fishing around deeper weed edges around the main lake. I've located certain spots seem to maintain fish all summer long. UNLESS there is an east wind -then they just seem to get lockjaw. Why is this? Many times I have gone out and just slayed fish. Go back under similar conditions, except the wind is a different direction, and can't catch a thing. I can see fish on the finder, I can even see crappie on the camera, but they aren't biting.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there some weather/wind rule I should know about before hitting the water next time?
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Usually when the wind is out of the east you have a high barometric pressure and they bite the least or not at all
    Likes Cmj LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theygotaeat View Post
    Usually when the wind is out of the east you have a high barometric pressure and they bite the least or not at all
    X2! I still go though!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Me too

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm of the opinion the wind sets up currents that we may not notice but the crappie sure do.

I troll cranks for several months out of the year. I find deep crappie are seriously current minded. Lots of times I will troll a pass, marking fish, from say north to south, and not catch a fish. Turn around and troll the same track from south to north, and I may catch several keepers. Same water, same fish, same bait, same speed. Only difference is the attitude the crappie are pointing. Unless I am not marking fish on a trolling pass, I will always troll that track both directions before I consider leaving the area.

I think the current/wind makes a huge difference.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes theygotaeat, fiveeyes, Rees Guide, blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I keep up with the wind conditions all the time, I go when I can, no matter what, but I have noticed in the last 5 years of keeping up with the wind direction , that east or south east or south kills the fishing. any other direction I catch fish. East is better than south east or south winds.
    Likes wasilvers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I worry about wind is when it starts blowing to hard or white capping. Then it is past time to go home.

Old fisherman's saying:
    Wind from the West, fish bite the best.
    Wind from the East, fish bite the least.
    Wind from the North, do not go forth.
    Wind from the South blows bait in their mouth.

Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes theygotaeat, chaunc, blueball, pescador LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The wind is created by the heating/cooling atmosphere, and by the movement of weather fronts. Weather fronts usually change the pressure which affects the fish. I've always felt that a high pressure system is usually a cold front. Even if the air temps don't change much sometimes, the pressure does, and I think it makes the fish uncomfortable. I think a high pressure causes them to drop deeper and stop feeding until they start feeling better. I have zero proof of any of this, of course.
    Likes theygotaeat, Cmj, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wind from the east fish bite the least is a old saying I've always heard.
    Likes Rees Guide LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

east the least/ west the best / south blows the hook out the fishes mouth / north ? I CAN'T REMEMBER THIS ONE ONLY IF MY DAD WAS STILL ALIVE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast