Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Slip Bobber Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Slip Bobber Question

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but I have always wondered...... How do you match jig size with bobber size? I know: Size Does Matter! lol I have had trouble with jig being too small and bobber stop will only make it about half the way to the bobber. Or the jig will drop and as soon as the stop hits the bobber....the whole thing sinks. I've looked at different bobbers to see if they designate a size/jig weight limit, but haven't found anything that gives me a hint. thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    I've looked at different bobbers to see if they designate a size/jig weight limit, but haven't found anything that gives me a hint. thanks!
    Some of the Thill floats do.

For my floats that don't, I mark the capacity on the float with a permanent marker.
    Likes vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but I have always wondered...... How do you match jig size with bobber size? I know: Size Does Matter! lol I have had trouble with jig being too small and bobber stop will only make it about half the way to the bobber. Or the jig will drop and as soon as the stop hits the bobber....the whole thing sinks. I've looked at different bobbers to see if they designate a size/jig weight limit, but haven't found anything that gives me a hint. thanks!
    Yeah, you have use some thin line like power pro 4 test to make slide through correctly , also attach your jig to the bobber, and put it in a glass of water to see how it floats.

Post Thanks / Like

On the top of some bobbers there is an insert with a small hole. That can be removed. I think Lindy is the one maybe some thills. The thill pro has a nice large brass feral that I like. I use 4lb. test

Post Thanks / Like

Most slip bobbers I've used perform well when you use a "fused" line (not a braided one) like Fireline Crystal, as your mainline. Attach a Spro PowerSwivel underneath the bobber (instead of the jig). Use a swivel big enough so that the eye will not get stuck in the bobber - or, add a small glass bead between the swivel and the bottom of the bobber.

Then tie on about a 1' - 2' fluorocarbon leader (reduced visibility and abrasion resistance) and then your jig. I've used this 2# test Crystal for several seasons now (jig fishing and slip bobbers as well) with no problems. A 1/32 oz. marabou jig has no difficulty going through a slip bobber, to the desired depth with this set-up.

Now I have to add that the waters I'm fishing are not particularly snag infested, which is why I can get away with such light line. However, with a slip bobber, you would generally set your depth to just above those snags anyway, so it wouldn't think that to be a problem.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

How about a picture Crestliner08?
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes vic n LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a five gallon bucket of water and tie a bobber and jig. Just use a bead to stop the float so it fit the size of the bucket. Add a snap hook to change jigs quickly. When the float holds the jig off the bottom just use a permanent marker and mark similar floats with what weight it will float. Then replicate and duplicate that setup in Lake water.

Name:  Basic Rig.jpg
Views: 25719
Size:  43.6 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes RMGeorge, vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I start with a minimum of 1/16 oz to use with a slip float. 1/32 can work, but do not always function perfectly in my experience, depending on the depth you want to fish. Once you get over 4-5' deep, the 1/32 doesn't have the mass to pull line through the cork.

If you want to fish a 1/32 oz jig, add split shot above the jig to help get it to the depth you need, or start with a 1/16 to begin with. I have 1/16 oz weight jigs in several hook sizes from #6-#1 just to match conditions and the fish I'm after.

I also use 1/64oz jig with #8 hook for bluegill on slip floats, again with shot added for weight about 9-12" above the jig.

The best sensitivity for me is 1/16 oz jig with slip float and no extra weight, or a lighter jig with a quill type float attached directly to the line and no extra weight, which is not a slip set up (but very sensitive!).
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    Yeah, you have use some thin line like power pro 4 test to make slide through correctly ...
    If you use a float swivel adaptor like this:

Amazon.com : Thill Float Swivel Adapter : Fishing Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

... you can use 100# line, and it will still slide through perfectly.

The "line through the body" style of float is a very poor design for slip float fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, someone has already posted a great picture of a common slip float set-up. Took a snapshot of what I'm talking about above:

Name:  Slip Set-Up.jpg
Views: 3614
Size:  26.7 KB

As I said, this works extremely well with very light jigs, provided you use the appropriate kind of main line, to facilitate a friction free decent for the jig. I did not draw in the line in this depiction, but, along with my instructions, it's pretty much self explanatory.

The addition of a glass bead above the swivel acts as both an attractant and prevents the swivel from getting stuck in the bottom of the float. The bead above the float is what comes with the string type bobber stops that I prefer.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes shipahoy41, "D" LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast