Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bobber stop troubles.....which do you like?!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bobber stop troubles.....which do you like?!

I will use a slip bobber anytime fishing over 3-3'.5" and I gotta say....I haven't found any that were hassle free and plain'ol did there job! I've tried three so far......First were the ladder style from Bass Pro where you weave your line in and out and there about a quarter inch long. Great idea however they were made from plastic, a thin plastic at that and after a few cast and going through the guides they would break and be compromised. If they were made from rubber or some type of nylon it would be awesome! My second choice was the standard string style bobber stops that come on the small straw type tube(pic below). I was not impressed, after a few cast they too became loose and started to fail and was able to simply pull it off my line with my fingers. Thirdly I used the rubber bobber stops that come on the little coin with the chicken wire(pic below), atleast that's how I describe it lol. These out of the others were by far the most durable but once again had issues. When casting the bobber stop..yet very small would sometimes get hung up on the last eye/guide of my rod, the smallest eye obviously.....it would turn sideways with the violence of the cast and not smoothly flow out of the last guide(pic below). An surprise surprise a tangled mess! Also, if I was lucky enough to get a few cast off with it flowing correctly the bobber stop would move up and down my line while casting or reeling the line in, again from it contacting the last guide and "re-adjusting" itself. So I ask, what bobber stops are you all using and have had no problems with cause I need to buy em'! Thanks ya'll

-GEO
    Attached Images Attached Images    

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see well enough to use the first one, don't care for the third one for the reason you stated. So I use the threaded one. Don't know of any others, but somebody will teach us something new I'm sure.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Thill has the best quality thread on their bobber stops. Slide the stop off the tube and wet thoroughly in your mouth. Stretch the stop out before you begin to tighten it. I do this 3 times on the average while tightening to keep the knot as small as possible. The reason for the stretch is to keep any of the threads from overlapping.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I find the string works best for me, but I've never found any kind that doesn't hang up on the reel or the last eye on the rod.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it okay to leave the tags on the thread bobber stop, and then re-tighten when it gets loose?
    Likes Hanr3, fiveeyes LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I've used every bobber stop out there and they all have flaws, the little plastic ones that you weave the line through twist mono to no end, the rubber ones and the string type will most always slip whenever pressure is applied to the line(hooking a fish). If you always fish at the same depth maybe they would work better but personally I change depth often.
    In my opinion the only solution is for someone to come up with a rod specifically designed for Slip Bobber fishing. This rod would have a specially designed tip that would have a gradual tapper leading the bobber stop through the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Thill string for me.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The string ones work ok if the tip eye is tiny. I use the plastic dogbone ones with a hole in each end. They are still reasonable at Grizzly Jig Co. or were when I last ordered them . Even these would hang on the spool at times if one is fishing deep.
    Since I fish from a float tube I avoid the floats for deeper fishing .

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the rubber ones......I have trouble keeping the string ones tight. The rubber ones work good with the rods that I use and as far as slipping...you can find the rubber ones sized by line size to help with that.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Eagle 1, theygotaeat, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the smallest size rubber ones you can buy. I think they are for 2 to 4 lb test. I run them on 6. Not perfect but for me the best
    Likes theygotaeat, Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast