PDA

View Full Version : Bobber stop troubles.....which do you like?!

GreenEYESfromOHIO
06-28-2015, 04:10 PM
I will use a slip bobber anytime fishing over 3-3'.5" and I gotta say....I haven't found any that were hassle free and plain'ol did there job! I've tried three so far......First were the ladder style from Bass Pro where you weave your line in and out and there about a quarter inch long. Great idea however they were made from plastic, a thin plastic at that and after a few cast and going through the guides they would break and be compromised. If they were made from rubber or some type of nylon it would be awesome! My second choice was the standard string style bobber stops that come on the small straw type tube(pic below). I was not impressed, after a few cast they too became loose and started to fail and was able to simply pull it off my line with my fingers. Thirdly I used the rubber bobber stops that come on the little coin with the chicken wire(pic below), atleast that's how I describe it lol. These out of the others were by far the most durable but once again had issues. When casting the bobber stop..yet very small would sometimes get hung up on the last eye/guide of my rod, the smallest eye obviously.....it would turn sideways with the violence of the cast and not smoothly flow out of the last guide(pic below). An surprise surprise a tangled mess! Also, if I was lucky enough to get a few cast off with it flowing correctly the bobber stop would move up and down my line while casting or reeling the line in, again from it contacting the last guide and "re-adjusting" itself. So I ask, what bobber stops are you all using and have had no problems with cause I need to buy em'! Thanks ya'll

-GEO

"D"
06-28-2015, 04:17 PM
I can't see well enough to use the first one, don't care for the third one for the reason you stated. So I use the threaded one. Don't know of any others, but somebody will teach us something new I'm sure.

MAINEIAC
06-28-2015, 04:31 PM
Thill has the best quality thread on their bobber stops. Slide the stop off the tube and wet thoroughly in your mouth. Stretch the stop out before you begin to tighten it. I do this 3 times on the average while tightening to keep the knot as small as possible. The reason for the stretch is to keep any of the threads from overlapping.

wannabe fisherman
06-28-2015, 04:47 PM
I find the string works best for me, but I've never found any kind that doesn't hang up on the reel or the last eye on the rod.

vic n
06-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Isn't it okay to leave the tags on the thread bobber stop, and then re-tighten when it gets loose?

Fishawk
06-28-2015, 05:00 PM
I think I've used every bobber stop out there and they all have flaws, the little plastic ones that you weave the line through twist mono to no end, the rubber ones and the string type will most always slip whenever pressure is applied to the line(hooking a fish). If you always fish at the same depth maybe they would work better but personally I change depth often.
In my opinion the only solution is for someone to come up with a rod specifically designed for Slip Bobber fishing. This rod would have a specially designed tip that would have a gradual tapper leading the bobber stop through the tip.

bee
06-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Thill string for me.

Olegiller1
06-28-2015, 06:29 PM
The string ones work ok if the tip eye is tiny. I use the plastic dogbone ones with a hole in each end. They are still reasonable at Grizzly Jig Co. or were when I last ordered them . Even these would hang on the spool at times if one is fishing deep.
Since I fish from a float tube I avoid the floats for deeper fishing .

"G"
06-28-2015, 07:34 PM
I like the rubber ones......I have trouble keeping the string ones tight. The rubber ones work good with the rods that I use and as far as slipping...you can find the rubber ones sized by line size to help with that.

jiggingfool81
06-28-2015, 08:03 PM
I use the smallest size rubber ones you can buy. I think they are for 2 to 4 lb test. I run them on 6. Not perfect but for me the best

Tom 513
06-28-2015, 08:09 PM
I use the string type and also use tie My own out of dental floss when I can remember how to tie then correctly:dono

Hanr3
06-28-2015, 08:17 PM
I have tried a variety of bobber stops and always go back to the Thill string version.
Tips and trick's on the string versions.
Always leave about 3/8" tag line at each end and clip the rest. Aids in tightening the stop if it comes loose. Mine typically come loose after a few trips out. More time than not I break off before the bobber stop, stop's working. When I break off, I tie on a new bobber stop. As for cinching it down, wet it with spit, pull the tag ends and clip off the excess leaving 3/8" tag line.

You are using a spinning rod correct?

short grub
06-28-2015, 09:09 PM
I tie my own out of string and use smaller string and less raps, I never have any troubles and don't have tubes all over the boat

just buy yourself a spool of heavy tread and keep it in the boat then your set

use this knot it's super easy to tie Bobber Stopper Knot | How to tie a bobber stopper or float stopper knot (http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/bobber-stopper-knot/)

eagle 1
06-29-2015, 05:11 AM
I use the smallest size rubber ones you can buy. I think they are for 2 to 4 lb test. I run them on 6. Not perfect but for me the best

+1, works for me .

theygotaeat
06-29-2015, 08:23 AM
:hesaid

Tom 513
06-29-2015, 11:47 AM
I tie my own out of string and use smaller string and less raps, I never have any troubles and don't have tubes all over the boat

just buy yourself a spool of heavy tread and keep it in the boat then your set

use this knot it's super easy to tie Bobber Stopper Knot | How to tie a bobber stopper or float stopper knot (http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/bobber-stopper-knot/)

Thanks for posting that link SG I know its similar to a Albright knot which I am using more and more

Techno2000
06-29-2015, 01:25 PM
Just use a piece of 12 or 15 test mono and tie bunch of overhand knots on top of each other, and clip both ends close to the knot. To do it you just have to get your main line tight like a guitar string.

Gomer Snerd
06-29-2015, 06:30 PM
would a drop of superglue keep the string from loosening?

BuckeyeKdog
06-29-2015, 07:29 PM
I'm partial to the dogbone style but tend to use dental floss (waxed) with a uni-knot or bobber stop knot more often than not as its fast and easy

genec
06-29-2015, 08:22 PM
TO HELP THE STRING FROM SLIPPING U CAN USE A MAJIC MARKER ON YOUR LINE WHERE THE TIE STRING IS,IT HELPS

CrappiePappy
06-29-2015, 09:01 PM
I've tried most of them, except the strings, and find that the rubber ball types work "OK" ... and the dogbone & ladder style plastics stay put the best, but deteriorate faster than the rubber ones.

The biggest factor I've noticed is having a rod tip eye that is large enough to allow unfettered movement of the "stop", in either direction. Micro guides and small rod tips do not allow for this degree of movement.

I've mostly used the rubber ball type stops, and they will get pulled down the line when reeling in a fish under pressure. You "can" bypass that effect, if you can see the rubber ball approaching the rod tip & give a momentary bit of slack as it enters the rod tip eye. Problem with that is, you may give the fish a momentary bit of slack & lose it in the process.

One thing that "may" help, when using the rubber ball type stops, is to purchase them in accordance with the line size you intend to use ... and use the ones that are for line sizes smaller than what you're actually using. You must also check all the rubber balls, and make sure that they are on the wire loop "whole", and not partially cut from having been put on the wire loops (during mfg). Also understand that they can & will degrade over time, whether on the shelf or in your tackle box ... whether from heat, UV exposure, or simply age. The plastic dogbone & ladder shaped stops will also degrade & become brittle with age.

Personally, I just don't bother using them anymore. I'll use a clip-on float in situations where I'm only fishing a little deeper than the length of the rod I'm using. And when that's not an option, I simply tightline with a long rod that has a sensitive tip (or cast/slow retrieve).

... cp :kewl

shipahoy41
06-30-2015, 06:26 AM
I tie my own out of string and use smaller string and less raps

Short Grub, I have done this with dental floss and it does give you a smaller knot. Having said that, I am still a fan of the smallest rubber stop I can find. I use six pound Stren line but I use the rubber bobber stop made for two pound line. You do not need to "Violently" cast it to make it go far. A slip float and a 1/8 jig is all you need down here in the south.

Crestliner08
06-30-2015, 11:08 AM
I've been using the string type for many, many years. I cut the tag ends pretty close. Reason being is that if you let them long, they tend to fray and cause tangles in your line when casting. As has been said, wet the knot thoroughly before tightening up. And I use two needle nose pliers to cinch it tight before trimming the tag ends. Rarely do I have problems with it loosening up and it's very durable as I change the depth setting quite frequently at times.

wasilvers
06-30-2015, 11:21 AM
I rarely use this method, but have rigged it a few times. Mostly don't like it because casting can get messed up with the bobber stop. I use the string ones, tighten really good and they stay put. The stay almost too good, because I can hardly move them when I want to. I do trim the ends down to about 1/32 to limit tangles.

Seems like one in 10 casts are less smooth than they should be. But that doesn't matter when the fish are biting :)

Eager Beaver
06-30-2015, 04:35 PM
I use to use a slip bobber quite a bit when I was fishing for Walleye! Now I only use it over a tree pile if someone is having a hard time snagging up. I tie my own bobber stops now. When I was fishing a harness I would have to cut the line and retie the harnesses after I put a new bobber stop back on. Now I can put a bobber stop on without having to cut the line and then retie the jig or whatever I am fishing with. I use my wife's crochet thread for my string and have it spooled on a thread thimble. I use a straw to tie them with. I tie them as I need them now. As far as having trouble with the end guide, if I have a problem with the bobber stop going through it, I will change the end guide to a larger one. I have 2 rod set up for slip bobber fishing. EB

flfisherman
06-30-2015, 04:51 PM
I use dental foss,,just wrap it around the line several times and tie 2 or 3 knots and trim off extra..it stays in place pretty good,I readjust maybe 3 times in a 5 hour trip...easy to find and cheap....

GreenEYESfromOHIO
07-01-2015, 01:29 AM
Well after reading all the comments it seems the majority use the "string type" bobber stops like my first picture showed. I also noticed that a few of you who are using the string version mentioned a small detail that I neglected to do while trying the string version bobber stops......moisten the string thoroughly before cinching it down!!! In my trials of the string version I did not moisten the string AT ALL! Just never crossed my mind, guess who feels stupid lol....So with that being said....just tonight I bought new line to spool my reel as it was getting very low and also purchased a new package of Thill string bobber stops! Many of you said you use and like the Thill bobber stops so I bought some! Tomorrow's my day off and the weather looks to be sunny and around 80 degree's....I'm hitting the lake! I setup with a double rig jig 18" apart with a slip bobber and the Thill string bobber stop set at approximately 6 feet. I am a bank fisherman 99% of the time so we'll see what gives.....I'll report back! Thanks ya'll

-GEO

GreenEYESfromOHIO
07-02-2015, 04:18 AM
Well as promised I'm reporting back! Like I said previously I rigged up last night so when I woke up I headed out to the lake. Fished for a couple hours and I must say.....the Thill string bobber stop worked AMAZING! I actually used the Thill string bobber stops when I first tried the "string version" and was seriously disappointed like I said in my first post. Man, do I take back all the negative things I said about them! I took the advice of several of you who stated you thoroughly moistened the string bobber stop before cinching it down and that was KEY! Made dozens of cast and the bobber stop didn't move a bit! Stayed exactly where I initially put it, didn't have to re-adjust once!...it didn't fray or come loose and just worked amazing like I said! Not only was I extremely pleased with this I was doubly pleased when after these dozens of cast I had absolutely ZERO problems with the bobber stop hanging up on the eyes/guides of my rod like I had so many problems with the rubber bobber stops. While casting and reeling in line the Thill string bobber stop slid through the guides with ease and with absolutely no disruptions! I was in fact so pleased that after today I will no longer buy any other bobber stops then the Thill string bobber stops! It worked flawlessly and loved it! Thank you all for your input and advice, this is why I wanted to be apart of the family here! Thill string bobber stops for the win!!! :ThumbsUp

-GEO

fiveeyes
07-02-2015, 05:51 AM
nice folks here 'eh

shipahoy41
07-02-2015, 05:57 AM
Good report GreenEYES.