Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bryozoans at Hillsdale?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bryozoans at Hillsdale?

We had kiddos out fishing the bank at Scotts Creek last night and found several of what my web searching says are Bryozoan colonies. Are these common here? I have never ran across them before. They were attached to plants right at the waters edge where the high waters have receded. Very interesting little things. Some were in the range of 8 inch jello like blobs. I assume they are good for a body of water as it appears they are filtering bivalve type organisms. What say our biologist about them. Thanks in advance. I have a 7 year old that loves to know everything about things he sees so he was very curious what they were.

Ryan

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryan,

Yes, it sounds like you describing bryozoans. They are fairly common at Hillsdale. I saw them quite regularly when I had Hillsdale in my district from 1997 to 2003.

Here's a CDC post from a few years ago that contains some additional info on bryozoans. Scroll down to post #189... http://www.crappie.com/crappie/ask-t...ml#post1298629

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Very timely post! My wife and I found some at Banner Creek near Holton yesterday and were curious about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Found several groups on Clinton, nice to know what they are. Thanks.