Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No fishing for me for a while

Post Thanks / Like

Default No fishing for me for a while

because me tow vehicle caught fire on the way to Josephine this morning. I smelled gas as I came to a light on 27. Pulled way over in the turn lane and far enough up to keep the boat out of traffic. Then shut it off. Unfortunately...a loud pop followed and fire came out of the wheel well on the right side. I guess a fuel line burst. Lots of smoke..peeling paint..battery acid smell..as it was melted to pieces. A woman on the scene called 911 for me and a sheriff was there pretty quickly..couple of minutes. I just KNEW the interior was about to go up in flames also but the fire died out before it got that far back. The sheriff called fire dept and they also got there pretty quickly and just sprayed the hood enough to get it cool to the touch. The hood was already popped and they opened it safely ..no fire left. They cut battery cables then started cleanup of scene. I asked for Ducks towing in sebring to come get the car. I have had several tows from them and they are just awesome! After putting the car up on the flat bed and attaching the boat to the bumper ,he called to get a price for me. It ended up being just $65 for the tow. He told me often they charge for the boat too but since it was so dinky and I asked for them they weren't gonna charge for it. If it had been a rotation call he said it would have wound up in the $250 range..ACKKKK..Glad I asked for them!! They also usually require cash but let me write a check because I'm local and old customer....
    So I don't know what I'll be using for a tow vehicle now or a second car! Maybe I can find another 92 lebaron convertible like it for cheap. I am very very thankful to God for my safety in the whole episode and the safety of the sheriff and fire folks.They were all great. It was hard breaking the news to my wife. I really think electronically it might be too far gone to save..so prayers for me please as I figure out what to do with it and how to get another vehicle. And...I know I'm keeping the boat and will hit the water again someday with it!!

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

God bless you man! Hope you back after them soon.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh! At least you're okay, the rest will work itself out. Prayers sent.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Crappie Stalker View Post
    Oh my gosh! At least you're okay, the rest will work itself out. Prayers sent.
    X2!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Man you're lucky. First to be safe, second that the car didn't "light up" and third the boat is OK. Most car fires go up in a flash. I've seen three of them and it isn't pretty. The scariest one was on an elevated section of Interstate. A SUV heading opposite us on a separate span pull over with smoke coming from the hood. A woman jumped out and got her three children out just as the fire spread to the interior and up she went. Whew that was too close. From where we stood we could do nothing but watch because of a 20 foot gap between the spans.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! At least you and the boat are safe. I feel yer pain on finding a new tow rig.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good that you did as good as you did. I wouldn't fix it. Sorry you lost your ride.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Your quick thinking probably saved your life-and boat to fish another day or two.................
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the good wishes and responses..I really don't think I'll try to get this one back on the road. I'd have to replace/find a whole new wiring harness for underhood and not sure what it did to injectors and such. Already checking for another lebaron to replace it. saw one or two that needed trasmissions ..good bodies and engines and cheap....Most of my car is salvageable and trans seems to still be fine even the lines so might go that route with it. Or just scrap it and go for small truck. I was really thankful it didn't burn faster /longer like the vehicle gene described. Daughter has moved back for a while so she'll be helping me get to work and stuff until I find another car/truck...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast