Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable PFD'S Automatic? Manual? ????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inflatable PFD'S Automatic? Manual? ????

I have a friend that is very concerned, about me NOT wearing a PFD! Yes! I'm old enough to know better, but we are all probably guilty, of not doing this at one time or another.

Anyhow, looking for some suggestions on one of the inflatable's, they sure look a lot more comfortable than the old coast guard type. Not that they aren't good, just bulky and uncomfortable.

Thanks,
    pescador

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I wear a automatic when I fish by myself
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

What G said, and in the winter. But I wear a manual

Post Thanks / Like

I wear one weather I'm alone or with 50 people. I don't swim well and if I'm on the water I have it on.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes minnowtime, SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I wear one (an automatic) when I am fishing alone or have my daughter in the boat. I make her wear one but if I don't have one on, what would happen if I fell in?

I buy mine in late fall or winter (from Cabelas). They usually go on sale and you can pick up a good one for $100.00

Also, they used to only count as a flotation device IF you were wearing it. Now, the new coast guard regulations simply list them as a type I,II, Or III device. Obviously, they recommend wearing them however, they do count if they are in a storage hold.
    They do however have to have the following:

In addition to meeting the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, an inflatable PFD, including the inflatable components of a hybrid inflatable PFD, must be equipped with:
    • Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, a properly armed inflation mechanism, complete with a full inflation medium cartridge and all status indicators showing that the inflation mechanism is properly armed;
    • Inflatable chambers that are all capable of holding air;
    • Oral inflation tubes that are not blocked, detached, or broken;
    • A manual inflation lanyard or lever that is not inaccessible, broken, or missing; and
    • Inflator status indicators that are not broken or otherwise non-functional.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Lenny LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mine also have a zippered pocket and I keep a whistle (attached to the zipper via a lanyard) and a snap light (chem light) in each one.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes "D", Lenny LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Question? Besides hooking fish occasionally. I manage to hook other things in the boat (PFD's,rope, cloths, myself, etc.). If a hook stuck in one of these $$$$ auto PFD's would it be ruined or what?
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I finally bought an auto/manual one. I decided my life was worth $90, even though my wife might not. Bass Pro puts their branded one, actually and Onyx, once in awhile for under $90. In matter of fact it is on sale right now during their July 4 sale.

I was always a big motor only guy, but I wear this from the time I launch the boat until I put it on the trailer.
    Likes Lenny LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I wear an automatic one 90% of the time and when by myself all the time. At 63 you never know when you might go overboard and need all the help you can get.
    Likes Alphahawk, RetiredRR, Lenny LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The autos have manual tube in case auto fails. Allways waer it, alone or not. I work in the marine industrie waer one every day, and have seen them save lives more then one time. If you spend any time on the water you will have or know someone who has fell overboard ( done it myself a few times ). Cheepest insurance you can get. They do make heavy duty, fire proof, but are vary pricie. you can buy 3or 4 for the same. auto is best, you can`t use manual if you arn`t conciuse, or disoriented. cold water in most cases below 70 will knock the wind out of ya, manual hard to do if at all. Inflaetables have a outer shell that holds the air bag they are made to protect the air bag until use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast