Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me find a rod/reel set-up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help me find a rod/reel set-up

Hello All,

Im trying to find a new crappie/panfish set-up in the $75-$100 range. I fish from the shore/dock 100% of the time. I want a spinning set-up. Id prefer a light action rod in the 6’-6’6” range. I typically run Rooster Tails (probably 75% of the time), but also jig near docks/structure. I think for a reel Ive settled on the Pflueger President, but I don’t know if I should go with the 6925 or the 6930, and I’d appreciate any input on that.

That leaves ~$40 for a rod, which leaves me with big box store house brands. Bass Pro doesn’t have a 6’+ combo or rod in a light action, so they’re out. Cabelas has one, but I’d have to pay shipping. Scheels has a IM-7 6’ rod that looks intriguing and the price is right for me. Anyone have experience with this rod (2015 Pro Angler Series SPA2-602LS)? Would this be a good set-up considering my style and price range? Any other opinions on a different set-up? Also, is there a best place to buy the Pflueger? I know the 4th may have some sales as well.

Thanks for any input!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a very close friend who bought the six foot six one and he absolutely loves it. Iv'e used it too, it's really good.
    Plus free shipping.

Pro Angler Tackle Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Centralclb View Post
    Bass Pro doesn’t have a 6’+ combo or rod in a light action, so they’re out. !

What about the Micro Lite? Bass Pro's version of a St. Croix Panfish. About $40 and a good quality rod. Also, Gander Mountain's Guide Series is a good rod.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: Pro Angler rods are great rods. I would go with the 6'6" Crappie rod. As for a reel I would check e-bay. Good Luck O - R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cmj View Post
    What about the Micro Lite?
    My thoughts exactly. They have about forty different rods in that line. There's bound to be one you'll like.
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be too hasty to go "lite" on your rod choice. And if you're fishing from the shore/dock most of the time, you might want to go much longer than a 6' rod.

Were it me, I'd be looking at something in the 7'-8' length, med/lite to med, fast action tip ... and pair it with the appropriate weight spinning reel that had a wide spool or "long cast" spool ... and use 6lb test line. You'll be able to cast farther, set the hook at long distance better, & control larger fish when playing them in.

If you're dead set on a specific reel, then you might want to consider getting a rod with a Tenn style handle (no fixed reel seat) so that you can move the reel's position on the handle to balance the outfit. You can spend several hundred dollars on a rod & reel, and end up with a terribly awkward outfit that will wear you out using it. But, spend a little over your $100 price cap & get a balanced outfit, and be able to fish with it all day & not even notice any fatigue.

Watch the Personal Classifieds for some gently used rods/reels that may cost you well under your price cap. I've bought several reels, and a Down Image unit from our members, and come away with some sweet deals. I've also bought "consignment" reels from a local bait store, and come away only paying half or less than the retail price on them.

... cp
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestion: if you want an excellent crappie/panfish/bass rod, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one that what B n' M offers in their Sam Heaton's SuperSensitive series. The make a 7 footer which I love. Match that with a 6920 President (no need to go larger) and you'll be good to go for under $100.00.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

The Ugly stick ProLite 7' rod is excellent!! BUT!! once you get the reel take it to the store with you and check it in showing you brought it in unless they have one in the store you can use - and put it on every single rod you're looking at to see what the balance is.

X2 with Pappy on a longer rod for fishing from shore - I have a bunch of 6'6" rods that cast well from shore but my 7' ugly stick, shimano sycopath 1000 w/6lb line whips a bait way out there.

Others are way more qualified to talk about the President then I am, as I only use Shimano's.

Post Thanks / Like

I own two Pflueger President reels, a 6925 for my crappie fishing and a 6935 for bass. They are FANTASTIC reels! I have had ZERO problems with either and I fish atleast once a week if not twice a week. They are very well built, reliable and simply do their job 100% of the time! Was worth every penny I paid for them, and I bought both brand new. $49.99 for each if memory serves me. Also, if this reel is for crappie/panfish exclusively I would not get bigger then a 6925, certainly not a 6930. I LOVE my 6925 for crappie. Is perfect. As far as rods, I cant really answer.....I went expensive and bought a 6'6" St.Croix rod which is WAY out of your $100 limit for a setup lol. Good Luck and let us know what you get.
    Last edited by GreenEYESfromOHIO; 06-24-2015 at 11:51 PM.
    Likes Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you look into the B-n-M Sam Heaton or Mr. Crappie combination rod and reels in about a 6.5 footer. Those or the new Ugly Sticks are some great rods.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast