PDA

View Full Version : Why do you fish?

jackie53
06-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Why do you fish? for fun,for food,to win,to relieve stress? A non fishing friend ask me the other day. Why do you fish?

kickingback
06-20-2015, 09:29 PM
What did you answer him with?

I fish because I can. I can because God gave me the ability to fish and have fun doing it no matter if it's for food or fun.

JET4
06-20-2015, 09:32 PM
I fish because I enjoy it and they taste good.

SeaRay
06-20-2015, 09:48 PM
I read a commentary by one of the outdoor writers on this same question. I can't remember the exact wordage but it was something to the effect of: "....it's not that I think fishing is the most important thing, it's just that there are so many things less important!"
Kind of how I feel. Just to be out in God's universe is reason enough for me.

RetiredRR
06-20-2015, 09:54 PM
I fish because it's in my DNA.........mothers side. Dad's side did not fish. Started at a very young age, probably 5 or 6, shortly after learning to milk our cow. Gave
up the cow, but couldn't stop fishing. Lifelong habit. Best habit I ever had. Great health food. Still have my first rod & reel. Bought it from my grandfather for 25 cents.
Metal rod with bait casting reel. Catfish and gills for supper anytime. Memories galore. Grandfather never gave anything to anyone. Everything I got from him cost me
a quarter. Knives, bags of marbles. You name it, it cost a quarter. Visited my great grandfathers grave today and a bunch of us cousins got together and talked about
our memories of our younger years. A good day.

short grub
06-20-2015, 10:15 PM
I go to enjoy the great outdoors, catching or not

RMGeorge
06-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Besides it being fun and relaxing, it's a great way to bond with kids and grandkids.

DockShootinJack
06-20-2015, 11:53 PM
Why doesn't he fish? For me I can't remember a time before I fished. Fished as a kid with a cane pole and caught break, then I graduated to a Zebco 202 with a fiberglass rod, next was a second hand fly rod from a thrift store. I fish because I enjoy it. I fish because I like to eat fish. I fish because I remember a time when food was grown, caught, or hunted. I remember a time when food didn't come from a can, or a Styrofoam tray, or over processed and wrapped in plastic to be sold in in a huge store.

jackie53
06-21-2015, 06:28 AM
What did you answer him with?

I fish because I can. I can because God gave me the ability to fish and have fun doing it no matter if it's for food or fun.

I fish because I enjoy catching,eating and being in the outdoors. Fishing after you catch a fish if you want to keep it you can or you can return it to the water for someone else to catch or make more fish. No other sport brings people together like fishing. NONE!!!

Just Steve
06-21-2015, 06:56 AM
My answer would be part sentimental, part enjoyment and partly for food.
My earliest memories of fishing with my grandpa who passÚd away when I was 10 would be the "sentimental" part, he always found the time to take me fishing no matter how tangled my line would get or how fidgety in the boat I'm sure I was.... there isn't a time I don't think of grandpa when I pick up a fishing pole.
The enjoyment part is that my wife, sons, and grandkids all love to fish, so being able to spend quality time together is pure enjoyment.
And lastly who doesn't love a good fish dinner? We do! It's a time to get together again and enjoy a few beers or soda with some fresh caught fillets, baked beans and cole slaw.

fastfish
06-21-2015, 07:39 AM
I fish because ..like so many others...my grandfather took me fishing. I'd drag him out of bed on Saturdays to drive to Okeechobee to the locks after he had worked hard all week. He would grumble a little but after we got to the locks he was all business! A really intense fisherman and he caught a lot of fish! We went to rivers and streams. Most of the time he used a 14 ft cane pole..never really liked reels. He was super patient and that rubbed off on me. Fishing takes patience! You also learn that things won't always work out like you wanted. You get hangups,you get skunked, a reel breaks or a fish takes your pole for a ride down the river. A fish totally ignores everything you put in front of him. Lots of life lessons to learn fishin...Then there is just being out in nature and seeing the sunrises/sunsets.looking at the colors of the fish..so much variety. Of course there is the thrill of catching a fish. You never know WHAT will come up on the end for sure..fish,turtle,mudfish,tire, another pole someone lost. I really don't care too much if I catch anything anymore..it's just so relaxing. There are so many good memories tied to it. I remember very clearly fishing with great grandfather ..he was in his eighties and loved to fish. We were fishing at the locks at the indian reservation in Brighton,Fl. He must have been fishing this one spot for an hour and had not had a bite., he decides to move and I move into his spot...Right away first cast...2 lb crappie..first one of those I had ever caught. He just kept shaking his head*l*

trypman1
06-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Fun, fun, fun & piece of mind. I just love to fish, I have spent my whole life fishing, gave up hunting and golf to fish more. back in my earlier days, I fished BASS, Project Sports and many other tourneys. They became work and I quit. There is not a better sport for chillin-out.

Bob/MN
06-21-2015, 08:48 AM
I fish for sport; 90% of the fish I catch are CPR. Once in a while I will take a few fish for a meal.

Cane Pole
06-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Recipe for life: God, country, family, friends, fish, sports and sex.

Hanr3
06-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Why do I fish?
Food- for me and the family
Reflection time- where am in my goals of life, what went well, not so well and how can I improve.
Mother nature- to appreciate all the God has giving for us to enjoy.
Friendship-Fatherhood- Some of the best times in the boat are spent teaching/bonding with my adult children.
Friendship- enjoying the company of friends and family.
Some days I don't even fish, I may have a line in the water, but there might not be anything on the other end.

One of the things I enjoyed the most about deer hunting is watching the world come to life. The animals wake up, the sun comes up, the winds starts to blow... Same holds true on the water. Also one of the reasons I love to tent camp.

deathb4disco
06-21-2015, 11:27 AM
To impress Jodie Foster.

vic n
06-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Because Obama and PETA haven't bothered with us yet. I can go out, enjoy nature, enjoy the challenge of finding and catching fish, maybe even enjoy the company of friends without being called cruel and inhuman for it. It won't be long before we are criminalized. They will categorize hooks as deadly weapons and it will take 3 days to buy any.

RetiredRR
06-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Because Obama and PETA haven't bothered with us yet. I can go out, enjoy nature, enjoy the challenge of finding and catching fish, maybe even enjoy the company of friends without being called cruel and inhuman for it. It won't be long before we are criminalized. They will categorize hooks as deadly weapons and it will take 3 days to buy any.

:pray Don't let the NSA read this..............:Rofl

Yaker
06-21-2015, 03:18 PM
I grew up poor,but didn't know it,everything we did evolved around food,be it work,hunting or fishing.Luckly I learned all three,now that I'm retired,I hunt and fish to place food on the table,the fact that I enjoy them is just a fringe benefit.I find peace and relaxation while out,but I get more satisfaction when I sit down at the dinner table with the family,and they want to hear about how I shot the deer or caught the mess of fish we are eating.
Yup,I enjoy catching,but due to my humble upbringing,catch and release only occurs when I'm satisfied I have provided for my family.Yes we eat wild game several meals a week,it may sound odd in this day and age,but it's a way of life for us,and that is why I fish.

"G"
06-21-2015, 07:09 PM
fun, relaxation, reflection, and fellowship......the fish are a bonus

CrappieWrangler
06-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Not sure...? I can tell you that I am a very busy person even when I don't have to be. But, when I get on the lake I just seem to chill out. Bout one of the best things to relax.

INTIMIDATOR
06-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Besides all the normal reasons, like fun, relaxation, and great taste of the fish species that I eat....fishing is so much more to me!

It is the science of fishing....the stalking, understanding of the water, learning the species, lure presentation, techniques, learning patterns, etc, etc....and then when you think you have everything figured out, Mother Nature shows you just how fickle she is, and always reminds you that you don't know as much as you thought:):):)....this is what makes fishing exciting to me!

lowe rider
06-21-2015, 09:09 PM
:pray Don't let the NSA read this..............:Rofl
Too late.

theygotaeat
06-22-2015, 01:32 PM
I fish therefore I am theysaid

skeetbum
06-22-2015, 06:56 PM
I fish for many reasons. My internal motor runs pretty quick and it is one place that I feel perfectly content. All of my aggravations from the day fall away and I recharge at a remarkable rate. I pray, reflect, stew, decide, plan, dream, forgive and much more that I just can't bring to mind. The fish are always there, sometimes they cooperate and sometimes not. They aren't always what it's all about. The scenery, the sunrise or sunset, the company and sometimes the solitude. The wind in your hair or the cold on your face. Having fished a great deal in my life I find myself remembering past trips and the people that were there, and the fish we caught that added the spice to the trip. I can go on for some time but I think you get the idea. It isn't what I do. It isn't how I choose to spend my time. It is who I am and how I live. I have been taught by some of the best and have the need to pass it on. Knowledge kept to oneself is of little value.

Tony the Tiger
06-22-2015, 07:04 PM
DNA, hunter gatherer :fish

Dollfly
06-22-2015, 08:17 PM
I agree 100% with what Skeetbum said. That sums it up to a T.

KYfishing
06-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Everything else in my family was taken. lol

Iwannafish
06-23-2015, 07:05 PM
I fish to get outdoors. I love the water, whether that is swimming, wading, floating, or boating. Being on the water is my favorite form of relaxation. Catching fish is my second........

Oh.. and what Skeetbum said. He just said it a lot better than I could!

Locator79
06-24-2015, 06:10 PM
It's the only place in the world....where I have nothing on my mind.

Tom 513
06-24-2015, 07:28 PM
First off Id say because killing employees and customers isnt a option, lol
I have always loved the outdoors, hiking a good portion of the Appalation trail when I was in grade school has influenced a lot of who I am today. I really like the challenges that come with hunting and fishing, learning the habits of your prey and taking advantage of there weaknesses and knowing that You could survive if needed. I guess its the hunt of the prey that keeps Me going back.

shipahoy41
06-25-2015, 06:51 AM
Why do you fish? for fun,for food,to win,to relieve stress? A non fishing friend ask me the other day. Why do you fish?

I fish........therefore I am.
I fish........to teach red wiggles how to swim into Bluegill
I fish........to transport crappies to Lake Cisco
I fish........to avoid doing lawn work sometimes
I fish........to enjoy nature
I fish........to see the slip float go down
I fish........because it is fun.

RiverSlabber
06-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Because I like losing jigs :Rofl

i blame my wife actually, her and the kids bought me a rod a few years ago and got me back into it. Now I do it because its relaxing, a chance to forget about stuff for a few hours and enjoy nautre. A fish every now and then is fun too.

Spoonminnow
06-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Why I fish:

I still remember my mother taking me to a pond with me carrying a Zebco reel attached to a 5' rod and me casting a bobber and worm. Just seeing that bobber sink out of sight and feeling the incredible pull on the line and flex of the light action rod hooked me for life! Now I'm addicted to the strike and variations of it as well as the challenge of feeling strikes that line watching doesn't detect and then setting the hook on sneaky fish that swim toward me bait in mouth.

Another important aspect is the study of predator fish and discovering different things only fishing reveals. Discovery is exciting and fulfilling especially when it discounts current ideas, opinions and beliefs. (I get a lot of flack on different bass forums for expressing unconventional concepts based on logic and experience that don't agree with the promoters of products on those sites - was even banned from one and I was always polite.)

One important area of discovery involves fishing lure design and various techniques/ presentations that work. I make and use my own soft plastic minnow-grub 100 percent of the time and don't need to use other lures. But still tinker with color, shape and size to see what works when fishing is tough.

Sharing is also something I feel due for having been lucky to have made discoveries few have and helping inexperienced anglers understand why fish bite lures based on my and others experiences. Emphasis on resource conservation is a must.

PawPaw "gene"
07-01-2015, 05:11 PM
I fish because the Wife says, "Let's go fishing". Ninety-five percent of the time I fish with Linda and Linda likes to fish at least twice a week if possible. Suits me to a "T".
"gene"

shipahoy41
07-02-2015, 06:01 AM
I fish because the Wife says, "Let's go fishing". Ninety-five percent of the time I fish with Linda and Linda likes to fish at least twice a week if possible. Suits me to a "T".
"gene"

It does not get any better than that my friend. You are indeed blessed!

Bugtussle
07-02-2015, 07:46 AM
I have loved fishing since the first time I went at age 3 or 4. Spent many an enjoyable day as a child fishing for carp, bullheads and little sunnies before progressing to northerns, walleyes as well as crappies. Now having a hectic stressful retail health job, fishing allows me to chill out, clear my mind and become one with God and nature. I find fishing to be a very relaxing challenge that seems to be able to recharge my batteries and keep me going.