PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever sent a reel to shimano?

VaCrappieMan
06-20-2015, 08:44 AM
I have 3 messed up shimano reels and I think it's from me putting to much reel oil in them? They are 750 Sahara 750 symetre and a 1000 Sahara (older). The reels are locked up pretty much extremely hard to turn saw something on here talking about something similar saying a washer might be bad but opened it up and don't see anything wrong :/. Just curious if you all would send them off to shimano? I don't really have anything to lose they are worthless right now and before they were my favorite reels... Any info to help me out would be appreciated

Thanks,

Michael

deathb4disco
06-20-2015, 09:10 AM
I have 3 messed up shimano reels and I think it's from me putting to much reel oil in them?

I NEVER oil my reels, and they work fine. Having said that, certain Shimano's do have a history of binding, particularly if they've gotten wet. (I got caught in a pretty heavy rainstorm once, and my Shimano Symetre was just unusable after that.)

I've heard good things about Shimano customer service, so you could give it a try.

skeetbum
06-20-2015, 11:42 AM
I have used this fella for parts before and have heard good reviews from others on his repairs.http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/contact_us.php

NIMROD
06-20-2015, 11:52 AM
There are local service centers and would use a reel repair shop local if warrenty was expired .:twocents

Barnacle Bill
06-20-2015, 11:54 AM
There is a guy at Bugg's that people say is really good at repairing reels. Tommy Wilson's phone # is 276-956-4676. He goes by Bassman13 on the Kerr/Bugg's island fishing board. http://kerrlake.proboards.com/

Fatman
06-20-2015, 02:25 PM
I've sent reels back to Shimano before - If you do make sure to insure them with the PO and take pictures of them in the box you're sending them in. Have gotten really good service from them. I've heard good things about Mikes Reel repair on many boards.

fiveeyes
06-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Heres another for ya'..Tunasreeltroubles.com chek 'im out

Alphahawk
06-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Saharas have earned the nickname "Shibindo". There is a bushing in them that will swell when it gets wet.....and as Disco mentioned the Symetre. I have sent reels off to Shimano before for servicing. They do a good job of cleaning and lubing the reel at a reasonable price...which was at one time 20 bucks.....plus you have to pay to ship it to them. The 750 series are no longer made and a new 1000 Sahara is $79.99. If Shimano has to do anything other than clean and lube...and I mean anything.....it is not worth it to send it into them. You will have paid more than what the new one costs.

Regards

VaCrappieMan
06-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone... I might see if I can find a local reel shop first

Fatman
06-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Finally found the thread at BBC on Shimano fix

Shimano Spinning Reel "Wet Sticking" Problem (http://www.bbcboards.net/rods-reels/319925-shimano-spinning-reel-wet-sticking-problem.html)

bfish
06-25-2015, 10:54 AM
yup sound like the dreaded shimbindo problem, which Shimano service centers didn't correct with mine, which were sent in twice. No more Shimano spinning reels for me.

Fatman
06-25-2015, 07:24 PM
I've got them from the 80's up to the last one I bought in Oct. Never a single problem. Have many different models

Hanr3
06-28-2015, 09:33 PM
I too have half a dozen Shimano's and never had a problem with any of them. My boat has been soaked to the bones more than once and I never had a problem with any of my gear.