Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Growing Condo's...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Growing Condo's...

On our crappie lake here in Oregon, there is a public comment request by the Willamette National forest people asking the public for their ideas to best use these resourses... Of course I'm thinking fishing habitat.
    Here's what I want to suggest. They have been sinking Christmas trees for fish habitat, but we all know they don't last very long and fish don't go to them until they've been there awhile.
    I want to suggest that they use the area of the floodskape behind the dam to grow bamboo for crappie condos. It's not good for anything as it is, wouldn't hurt a thing and as far as I know it would not spread into the forestland since it's pretty isolated on all sides by pasture and low brush. Could this idea work, or can bamboo be spread by seeds by birds or deer?
    Thanks, Glow
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

bamboo grows and spreads by underground runners.
    It takes years for bamboo to spread over a small area. It will grow in forested areas, meadow lands and almost anywhere.
    Bamboo shouldn't be used until it is several years old.
    Bamboo is a "GRASS" and it needs to "AGE" to gain strength in the stalks.
    No need to wory about bamboo spreading via seeds. You need to dig up some underground runners, preferably with evidence of former stalk growth, and replant where you want it to grow.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have done a lot of research on planting bamboo and how to manage it...If you plant some bamboo...You can dig a 12 inch hole by 4ft wide all away around the bamboo....The runners will grow and will spread....But, you can cut the runners from going any further at the ditch....

For more information...Go to bamboo.com...A lot of good info...I am thinking about planting some bamboo...Just have to find the right place..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mduncan, that got me into all the info I'll likely need, including local growers I can get started with. That stuff ain't cheap to buy either! Might need a government grant too.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a couple local Free Recycle webrings around here, and I've seen bamboo given away free for the digging a couple times. I could ask on there too. I think that Freecycle thing is going on all over the country pretty much, and it's a great way to find free stuff or give away free stuff too. I got some hop roots that way last year.

Post Thanks / Like

I had never heard of the freecycle thing. I just looked it up and we have one, so I joined it. Thanks for the inadvertant heads-up on that.

Mike