Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motor 12 or 24 Volt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor 12 or 24 Volt

I now have a 12 volt 55# trolling motor on a 17ft boat with 1270 lbs. total load. Will I see any great improvement going to 24 volt 70# motor? Do the two batteries have to be same age, brand and size? What wire size and how to connect? I guess the two bank battery charger will take care of trolling batteries but will need 12 volt deep cell battery that can be charged with another charger.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar size boat, It had a 70# 24Volt. I went to a new 12 volt 55# Motor Guide. .01 mph difference. Very little loss. Plus only one battery. Love it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 17 ft bass boat fiberglass with a new #55 on it running 2 batteries. Love it.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I ran a 12 volt 50lb on a 17' boat for several years. On an all day spider rig trip I ran my battery down several times...I fish a lot. I also got less than two years service from my trolling battery...that was about standard for me and I tried different batteries. Went to the 24 volt 80lb ipilot. No comparison at all. I have not come close to running down these batteries. Never gone below 3 bars on the ipilot scale. The 80lb is much stronger than the 50. It would push me at 3.5 mph max. On the 50lb the wind would actually push me backwards sometimes, not so with the 80. I'm starting my 3rd year on these batteries with no sign of weakening. I'm not the exception...talk to the guys who run em. You'll like it.
    Likes Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What current or wind do you fish in, A 24 wont really get you there faster but hold you there much longer. If you have the room for an extra battery and fish windy days, go for it. You'll need 6 ga wiring and also a 14" jumper wire to go from battery to battery. Yes both battery's should be purchased at the same time and both should be of same size. If you have the room go with group 30. If you dont fish windy days or no current stay with the 12v. If you plan on trolling cranks go 36v.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The main question is how do you intend to use it? If you just cast, single pole, or spider rig the 55 should be sufficient. If you intend to long line for extended periods or pull cranks then the 24 is the route to go. Times 2 on battery being same age and size.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes windstone, Cane Pole, theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You could run 2 batteries in parallel to double your run time. You would be surprised at how much stronger the 12 volt motor is with 2 batteries wired in parallel. I'm sure some one will chime in to say I'm wrong because the amps don't add in parallel, but things don't always work the way paper and pen says they will. I've done it and it works!
    Likes windjammer1, Tn Johnboy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a 55 - 12V power drive, 18.5 boat, it will pull me about 2.2 mph. When I troll all day I use 2 batteries, run one half the day then flip a switch and run on the 2nd one the rest of the day, that way they dont have to be the same age or size, works good for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I run an 30pd thrust 12v Minkota Endura transom mount TM and top out at 2.5mph. Your boats are too heavy.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes RWiske LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Went out today first time with my new I Pilot, 24 volt. Top speed fluctuated 3.0 to 3.2 miles per hour. Pop
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast