Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: little help please

Post Thanks / Like

Default little help please

been thinking about getting into fly fishing. i have fished all my life but have no experience at all with fly tackle. i don't want to go out and buy the most expensive on the market but i don't want junk either. would like a good middle of the road rod and reel. will be using it on panfish mainly. any suggestions appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Likes murdok LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of choices and the one thing that I have come away with after handling lots of them is that for the beginner, you can get set up with rod, reel, floating weight forward line and several tippets for under $150 and get really good equipment. BPS has some good rigs worth looking at but they aren't the only ones. My 4wt is a Phleuger that's just great. There are cheaper sets available but lack the finesse and light weight that a few dollars more will get you. For Crappie a 4 or 5 weight will do the job, and if you will be chasing green fish a 7 weight will do. BPS has some reels in the $30-$40 bracket that have a good drag and are very light. As in Crappie fishing the reel is basically a line holder but the ones I refer to have a good drag and will go down the road as you learn more. The rods MUST be handled before buying as they differ greatly from one to the next manufacturer in the same description and dollar bracket. For learning you can use some 10lb flourocarbon for a leader but it is just until you get the hang of it, then a tippet, which is tapered and helps in rolling the bug upright will help more. Popper bugs got me off the ground, the cheaper the better. Size 10 or 12 will do, hemostats for removal a must. Flat faced Betts brand stick in mind, cast and leave them set till they get hit. Have landed 5 lb LMB on one of these. Slider heads work some but don't load up on them til you figure out which colors work where you are. White, yellow and black is a good start, in a small shirt pocket box with an extra length of flouro or tippet is a good start. Watch some youtube videos and get the basics, then practice for 15 or 20 minutes and put it down for a while. When you're tired you make more mistakes and get more frustrated to no avail. Keep your casts under 50 feet and cast to a target on the grass and try to get the line to lay out and float to the ground without slapping for a gentle presentation. I have load of fun with it and I wish you the same. Holler if I can help any further......Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes murdok LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

can't get over how helpful and friendly everyone is on this site. now i got something to go on......thanks a bunch guys