Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hook box recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default hook box recommendations

I was wondering what everyone uses to keep hooks organized as far as a 3600 or 3700 sized box. I see a 45501 plano on there website and was wondering if anyone has tried that. I hate the fact that every time I organize my hooks and then move my tackle box all my hooks are mixed up again. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer snells,I open one end of a package,and simply pull one at a time out when needed,no muss,no fuss.

Post Thanks / Like

The 45501 plano is a bit bigger than the 3600 and a tad smaller than the 3700. Kinda awkward to fit in some cases. I would just go with either a 3600 or 3700 divided box and divide it as needed for your hooks. I use a 3700 since I have LOTS of hooks tackle for hooks.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

My problem is I will get my hooks all divided by size and after I move my tackle box the thin wire hooks get in between the lid and dividers then it's a mess. Maybe I'm ocd but if I want a number 4 bait holder I want to get one out of that compartment and I can see if I need more not go through a pile of hooks and swivels that get mixed up

Post Thanks / Like

i use 3600's plano elite and like u i hate my hooks, swivels, clips, whatever getting tangled. what i did was i had a pharmacists friend of mine order me a box of 2" x 2" ziplock baggies they use to stock pills in. it works great and ur hooks will not rust it will make your jigs last a lot longer as well. im sure u can find em on the internet urself. the ones i got only came in thousand count boxes but they only cost 5.00 so needless to say you wont ever run out. a bit of advise dont leave the box in ur truck. if you go through a road block or get pulled over your going to have to explain why you have 1000 pill bags in the truck with you. lol

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cootpatrol View Post
    My problem is I will get my hooks all divided by size and after I move my tackle box the thin wire hooks get in between the lid and dividers then it's a mess. Maybe I'm ocd but if I want a number 4 bait holder I want to get one out of that compartment and I can see if I need more not go through a pile of hooks and swivels that get mixed up
    Then buy a box of very small zip-lock bags & bag your hooks according to size/style, then fit those into individual sections of the tackle box. You can even mark the bag with a sharpie as to what's in the bag. Plus ... should you happen to accidentally "dump" your box, your bagged items will not get mixed together or scattered all over the place. The zip-lock bag will also keep your bronze wire hooks from getting wet & rusting, should you have to get into the bag during a rain or any situation where water could get on the hooks. Some people even go so far as to place one of those silica gel packs in the bag/box ... like the ones that come in some med bottles, shoe boxes, etc. in order to keep moisture from collecting on the hooks.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

You can get the small zip lock type bags in the hobby and stationery section of WalMart in smaller lots, like 50 or so. The best way I've come up with is threading the hooks on a safety pin. I keep my hooks and swivels separated and sized that way and they won't get lost in the cracks and crevices of the box.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea Ray, I like that. Thanks.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Small foam weatherstripping over the tops of the dividers will keep everything in its place in the plano boxes. The small parts kits we get at work have a sheet of foam in the top to keep everything in its place.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I use some adhesive strip magnets in fly boxes with small flies for this reason. I think you can get 6-10 feet of the magnet strip from Hobby Lobby or Wal-Mart for a couple bucks. Just cut to fit the bottom of the compartments and voila. No more mess.
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast