Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Seat Bases and Pedestals- Educate me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Seat Bases and Pedestals- Educate me.

I believe the Minnow Bucket has Springfield taper lock seat bases.

I need at least 2 more seat bases and at least 3 pedestals with seat mounts. The simple answer would be to buy Springfield Marine bases and pedestals/seat mounts. Easier said than done. Is the taper style being phased out? Research shows Swivel-Eze and Springfield taper locks are not compatible?

What the heck is a Hi/Lo seat base?
    Are adjustable piston type worth the money? I know office furniture adjustable pistons wear out and all your left with is the lowest setting. I suspect boat seat pedestals are the same way?

What about pin style? Are they strong enough for my big arse?
    BPS sells screw type pin style. Are these easy to move from one base to another?

My goal is 6 seat bases, three on the main deck and three on the casting desk. Then I want three seats that will move between the two locations. I need the bottom of the seats to be at least 14" above the deck. Figuring 13" pedestals and seat mounts will suffice to meet that requirement.

Last, some recommendations on location to buy what you recommend.
    Thanks!
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought two Springfield replacement hi-lo's a couple of years ago to replace my originals (1996). Worked for a while and then would not stay up. The shafts rusted too. I suspect that it is more China-made junk. Can not recommend. I do not know if anyone makes a good one that will last. Sad. YMMV 5

Post Thanks / Like

We ll he bought some"hi-lo's" but didn't say what that meant. I am assuming it has to do with either a high back or low back. Anyone know?
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiveeyes View Post
    I bought two Springfield replacement hi-lo's a couple of years ago to replace my originals (1996). Worked for a while and then would not stay up. The shafts rusted too. I suspect that it is more China-made junk. Can not recommend. I do not know if anyone makes a good one that will last. Sad. YMMV 5
    Same results.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine work fine and they are for sale. I have 2 power pedestals, 1.77 base

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get away from the Springfield taper, do it. They have issues with the plastic insert in the base breaking and rendering it useless. The 3/4" pin is probably the most industry standard, but as you've already found, there are many.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the 3/4 pin style. Try Grizzly or Springfield has a scratch and dent section.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with 3/4 pin type swivel eze and millennium boat seats.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback so far. Seems like pin style is preferred. Still undecided about brand. Bass Pro is less than 2 miles from my house. BPS pin styles any good? Plus I see a vote for each Springfield and Swivel Eze. Any other preferences?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that 3/4" pins aren't recommended for use under power. Acceptable for at rest use only. The bigger post and bases are used in many boats for use under power. My 3/4 threaded pins stay put with my 250 lbs on them at rest, not confident the base wouldn't be pried out of the floor used under power. Just what I know, not what I've heard. The 3/4" posts can be dis assembled and the aluminum tube replaced with exhaust pipe in the right diameter for custom height, brother did this. Son worked at a muffler shop at the time. Used appliance epoxy paint on the pipe, no rust 4 years later.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast