Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon for fishing............

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pontoon for fishing............

been considering a pontoon for crappie fishing but hate to give up my WE boat. Just wondering how many of you use a pontoon for fishing? Just seem that a pontoon would be very limited. I spider rig and pull crank baits mostly.
    Likes sooners08 LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I know one guide service here on KY Lake that uses a pontoon. I would think it would be OK for pulling cranks but doubtful for spider-rigging. I think the slow speed required for spider rigging would make controlling the boat much harder with any wind.Lots of trolling motor with lots of batteries would be the ticket.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have been curious about the same thing but with a deck boat. I know most aren't very practical for fishing but I saw a local one about a year ago on Craigslist that looked like it would be great for fishing. Maybe you should give them a look as well. The primary benefit one would have over a pontoon would be wind control as most are fiberglass. They also sit lower in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

They are supposed to give a much smoother ride, but we just had one with 3 fishermen tip over, or should I say roll over in high waves on a cooling lake. The one person out of three not wearing a life jacket never made it to shore and lost his life.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 20 foot pontoon I have had since 1999. I spider rig with it just fine and it will go in shallower water than my bass boat would. Takes very little trolling thrust to move it. I have just used a 38# minn Kota on it since I got it in 1999. If wind is to strong a drift sock works good. I am going to upgrade to a IPilot so I can pull cranks. I just installed 2 golf cart battery's and on board charger to support the bigger TM. Fishes well.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434400545.352661.jpg
Views: 3343
Size:  67.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434400610.103638.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  66.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434400889.777679.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  65.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434400929.498280.jpg
Views: 2463
Size:  68.4 KB
    Biggest crappie to date is 3 lb 9 oz at grenada in 1988. Still hangs on my wall.
    Likes Tony the Tiger, Hanr3, sooners08, Clint LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here my troll boat. Hard to beat it. Built for trolling. Zero turn radius too. A cool dude rider. Great for us older folks that ain't in a rush.

IMG_0388_zpsb6fa46c3.jpg Photo by Tlewis38344 | Photobucket
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Here my troll boat. Hard to beat it. Built for trolling. Zero turn radius too. A cool dude rider. Great for us older folks that ain't in a rush.

IMG_0388_zpsb6fa46c3.jpg Photo by Tlewis38344 | Photobucket
    That is one slick dude of a fishing boat! I like.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

I taught my kids to fish on a pontoon boat. I also know a local guide who uses a pontoon. I was seriously considering one for my next boat. You can camp on it, put a cover over it. Heck there isn't much you can't do on pontoon.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Cane Pole, I just got a 1672 PONDTOON and it is a great little fishing machine. I'm 72, bad legs and a little trouble getting around. Had a 16' Lund ProAngler with a 75 and a 20HP and a lot of other stuff on it. Wonderful boat but too much for me to handle my self. It depends on how big of water you want to fish and how much you want to run around. The PONDTOON with a 20HP and a trolling motor does a great job on Pennsylvania State Lakes. It is easy for me to handle by my self, easy to step onto from a dock or shore and like fishing from your living room. Great for old dudes that have slowed down a little, just like to relax and catch a couple crappie. I think today if you can put a complete new rig together; boat, trailer and motors for around $15,000 you are doing pretty good.
    Likes Cane Pole, Cardsfan55, Tn Johnboy, Hanr3, chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 80lb minn kota with remote and foot pedal. Spider rig, Nightstalk, Structure fishing, trolling and drifting I have done it all in comfort with good results. I have plenty of batteries and anchors/drift socks.
    All for some elbow grease and 4000 bucks. Towing is my only complaint but I'm 5 miles from my favorite lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by deadaim; 01-15-2016 at 04:09 PM.
    Likes Clint LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast