Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Satilla Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Satilla Advice

Me and my dad are looking to make our first trip to the Satilla this Friday. I live in Hawkinsville and I'm not even sure yet if we will put in at Waycross or Atkinson. I believe we have the right tackle (Satilla Spins, Spin Dandys, Beetle Spins) and the right boat (15'4"Gheenoe with an 8hp) just looking to see if the river levels will stay in the correct window. Any advice would be appreciated. I usually fish the Altamaha, Ocmulgee, an Flint so I'm not new to fishing the rivers just new to the Satilla.

Post Thanks / Like

If it was me I would put in at the 301 bridge and go down river. You don't have any Taser Bugs and one Taser Bug is better than all the others put together. Care some crickets to attach to the Satilla and Spin Dandy.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 02226500 SATILLA RIVER NEAR WAYCROSS, GA You want it 7 feet or less.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 02228000 SATILLA RIVER AT ATKINSON, GA You also want it at 8 feet or less.

The Jamestown landing North of Waycross will fall out first and may be a good bet. It takes a week for the Jamestown water to reach Atkinson.

Been a lot of rain down there in the last week.
    Likes Baknaction, slabseeker5 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't make it to the Satilla Friday. We opted for the Flint for our first voyage in the now completed Gheenoe project. Thankfully we made this choice as the gas motor (8hp Mariner) that has started reliably in the yard failed to crank. We were able to journey up river a couple of miles with the electric motor due to the low flows. We fished this stretch of water largely by anchoring in the sand and wading just out from the shore. We were able to catch the numbers, however size eluded us and we only kept a dozen redbreast and one nice bluegill. Mostly I fished a black and yellow Spindandy tipped with a cricket. A few were caught on yellow boogle bugs and and even a few doubles were hauled in on the RLD droppers once we broke out the flyrods. Carsonville gauge was at 2.35. I believe and this would be as low as I would consider trying to fish the highway 19 stretch even in the Gheenoe. Danbo, I found out the maker of Taserbugs only lives a few miles from me and plan on acquiring some today. Do you have any suggestions on the color combos he offers?

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  cracker Jack 2.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  36.8 KBName:  Cracker jack 1.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  24.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by papasage; 06-28-2015 at 06:55 AM.
    Likes Danbo LIKED above post

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

next time try camper have landing . you have a lot of back water to go in most bigger boats can`t go some use mud motors . take a GPS as you could git lost easley .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papasage View Post
    next time try camper have landing . you have a lot of back water to go in most bigger boats can`t go some use mud motors . take a GPS as you could git lost easley .
    Where is this aat Sage?

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

on the north end of lake blackshear just below Hwy 27 crosses . . turn left on river road just before you cross the river on 27 west bound from Vienna . about a mile on river road turn right on to camper have road . public boat ramp but it is $2.00 parking .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice and fpr flipping my pics papasage. I have been to campers haven duck hunting a few years ago. It does look good for bream fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

crappie fishing is good up there . there was a tournament winner just below camper haven . a lake record was caught at the mouth of the creek that comes out of camper haven .there is a lot of deep holes out in the back waters . i will be fishing that aera more as i have a 32 ft motorhome up there.