Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cowan Lake fishing report 6/13

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cowan Lake fishing report 6/13

After weeks of dink fishing at EF I needed a change of pace so I took a trip to Cowan with EFslabs.
    The lake looked good. I was hoping to find a few for the frying pan. We fished several of our usual spots and we caught a bunch of fish but after most of the morning we only had 2 in the livewell that were 10" or better (my self imposed limit). We caught a bunch of fish and most seemed to run between 9 1/2"-9 7/8" so the size of the short fish was pretty good.
    Next on the agenda was we decided to try for a few saugeyes. We got to one of our favorite spots and started casting jigs tipped with a 1/2 crawler. We got hits right away but didn't have much luck getting hooks into anything. Brian gave up on tipping with a crawler and we then started switching jig size and color and we started to catch a few. We didn't get anything big and most ran about 14" give or take. The whole time we were casting jigs we kept slip floats/minnows out for anything that may be interested. We kept lowering the depth until we were near the bottom and Brian finally caught a ring perch. I will say I was surprised to see it. I fished Cowan since 1975 (40 years) and that's the 1st ring perch I've ever seen.
    After a few hours of fishing that spot for eyes we decided to move. We headed for another crappie spot and as we marked the cover we saw the spots had some fish and it didn't take long to see they were better fish. Nothing real big but most seemed to be fat 10"-11". We added 7 more crappie to the livewell in no time but unfortunately storms were rolling through just to the south so we called it a day.
    Another weird thing was we noticed some of the males still had some spawning colors and we thought this is weird since it's mid June. When I cleaned the crappie I saw why, 7 0f the 9 crappie still had eggs in them. I got to say this was another 1st for me as it was the 1st time I've ever seen crappies with eggs this late in the year.
    Likes Tom 513, "D", chaunc LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report. Would like a pic of that ring perch. Remember we love pix.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

No pics this week. We got ran off the lake as the storms were coming in.

Post Thanks / Like

We caught a little ring perch our last trip out there also C-max...... Surprised me...... JR caught it when we was gill fishing

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I read a report on OGF and a guy said he caught 1. I thought he probably caught a small eye and just thought it was a perch.
    Now I wonder where the heck did they come from.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report .I havent made it to Cowan this year ,I love that lake ,very peaceful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FSHNJON View Post
    I love that lake ,very peaceful
    ...until the sailboats come out. Luckily there weren't many Saturday, but the bass guys were out in full force. We had a couple guys get within 20' of the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

well they own the lake so we all have to get out of there way.lol.they r a different breed guess thats why they fish for green carp

Post Thanks / Like

We caught a perch earlier this year up in the campground cove. Also caught more saugers on that trip, than the last five years combined. We start shallow with jig and cork. Then we saw two fellas catching crappie by long lining. It didn't take long to figure the crappie were, staging or on nest, right out in the in middle of the cove.

Don't Blink
    Herb