Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fixed Bobber's for trolling minnows ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fixed Bobber's for trolling minnows ??

Saw a couple guys the other day fishing fixed Bobbers and minnows. Their bobbers looked like a cigar shape and were quite large, I would estimate 5-6 inches. They were color coded, and these guys had it down right. The area that was being fished had depths to 12 feet only.

Any of you guys troll with fixed bobbers? Just trying to learn another option, any suggestions on bobbers?

Thanks

pescador

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have tried them and didn't like it. Some guys on here do it and like them better. I use slip floats on by bobber rigs pushing minnows and jigs but only use them in rough water to eliminate the affect of pole bounce. Saw a video once on YouTube of a guy that guides using the ones you are talking about off a pontoon. Looked awful big to me but he was wearing them out. With those you can use more weight. I use a 1/4 oz weight and a1/8 jig on mine but I just use the 3 in cigar slip float.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes pescador LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I use fixed bobbers a lot spider fishing with minnows. We set them at different depths till we find the depth that the crappie are holding(biting) and then set them all to that depth when we find it. We fish 6 poles each for a total of 12 poles. We use the 10' extendable B&M poles(not rods) using corks 1or2 #7 split sinkers and #2/0 aberdeen hooks on heavy 14# cajun red line(helps to straighten hook when hung up and also for big catfish). Our lake is mostly shallow to 12' and the deeper holes 19' -25' but not very much deep water. Most of the time in summer we fish without the corks to a maximum depth of about 8' give or take how high the poles are from pole holder to water. We troll around the lake very slowly mostly toward the wind to keep a very slow troll. Well everyone has their own ways to catch crappie and this has worked OK for my wife and me so "If it ain't broke don't fix it" when I really want some crappie this is the way I fish. We caught these 6/3/2015 6/8/2015 and today 6/10/2015 using this method.

Name:  000_1009.jpg
Views: 2213
Size:  65.5 KBName:  000_1016.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  59.0 KBName:  000_1022.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  71.4 KB
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes pescador LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks cray and scat, appreciate you taking the time to answer.

pescador

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catches. Is that a Flathead catfish?? Going by the dark color it looks like one, but I am no expert on them. We have been focusing on Shellcrackers here for a few weeks and the channel cats love our worms on the bottom. We must have caught 20 of them Monday from 1 to 3 lbs. while fishing for crackers, lake is full of them and blue cats as well as flatheads but I've never caught a flathead.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    Nice catches. Is that a Flathead catfish?? Going by the dark color it looks like one, but I am no expert on them. We have been focusing on Shellcrackers here for a few weeks and the channel cats love our worms on the bottom. We must have caught 20 of them Monday from 1 to 3 lbs. while fishing for crackers, lake is full of them and blue cats as well as flatheads but I've never caught a flathead.
    Yes it is a flathead my wife caught it as usual she almost always out catches me. We call them tabby cats(flatheads) also here in Mississippi. We catch flathead and channel cat every now and then while trolling for crappie.
    Be safe and good luck fishing