Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadrunners vs. other jigs...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Roadrunners vs. other jigs...

...was just wondering, how would ya'll rate the various roadrunner jigs with attached spinners versus the regular curly-tail or maribou jigs as far as effectiveness? I just bought a handfull on sale at BPS and am gonna give 'em a try soon....any variation in presentation required? I've heard they're great for vertical jigging....

Bushrod

Post Thanks / Like

Of all the jigs I have tried I favor the Roadrunner over them all....I only started using jigs after I read the posts of other members success with them and like everyone else I run to the store to purchase something new to try just because I want to master the use of such.......But after much dissapointment of trying to use jigs I always go back to the lovely minnow. The only jig that I could get a crappie to bite without a minnow tipped on it is a Roadrunner.....And I mean that the crappie would actually nail it!...My favorite color is red and chartreuse thunder body on a white head...I just fish them slow and easy.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy the Bass Pro Shops equivalent. Don't really notice a difference between the two.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

The roadrunner is my go to bait all the time until the water temp dips below 58 degrees. But I cast and retreive not vertical jigging. That little spinner seems to attrack the crappie.

A bad day of fishing
    beats a good day at work.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Thats because they are the same thing. I've purchased the BPS version that had the RR blades on them. I just wish they had more colors. They only have Chart. white and red heads in bulk. They need a green head and black in bulk too. Black RR's are killers.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up They'll hit'm in cold water too!

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. stumpjumper
    The roadrunner is my go to bait all the time until the water temp dips below 58 degrees. But I cast and retreive not vertical jigging. That little spinner seems to attrack the crappie.
    I've been casting 1/16 oz Roadrunners with a 1 & 1/2 inch curley tail and catching fish 17' deep in 46 degree water here on Ky. Lake. Just have to reel real, real slooooooow. :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

they work real good on Tenn-Tom all year long. We use'em around logs and stumps. good for locating fish, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used jigs and roadrunners, they both work for me. I change the to grub bodies on the R/R and started picking up a few more fish. The local store are really limited on there fishin stuff so I have to order out of BPS and Cabelas. Between the two catalogs I have gotten a good selection,

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great for casting...

I like them for casting along docks and structure but not so much for vertical jigging. I don't know -- just seems to me that the spinner works better on more of a horizontal (casting) retrieve as opposed to a vertical retrieve. Black and chartreuse crappie thunder is my favorite at LOZ. Good luck.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Well, Bushrod ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrod
    ...was just wondering, how would ya'll rate the various roadrunner jigs with attached spinners versus the regular curly-tail or maribou jigs as far as effectiveness? I just bought a handfull on sale at BPS and am gonna give 'em a try soon....any variation in presentation required? I've heard they're great for vertical jigging....

Bushrod
    The only people I've ever "seen" catch Crappie, vertical jigging a Roadrunner .... was Jimmy Houston (on TV) and Ken "Killer" Palmer (on Watts Bar) :D
    Myself, I've used them for over 30yrs .... and they have served me well. So well, in fact, that I had Oregon Slabman make me some of his "custom made" ones ... in two colors that are no longer available (Peacock, and solid Pink).

Here's a "younger" Pappy ... after a cold, rainy early April day on KY Lake ... after throwing a 1/16oz solid Chartreuse Roadrunner (partner also throwing same):

Also had the pleasure of boating limits of 1.5lb-2lb Crappie, two days in a row, while fishing Barkley Lake (many years ago) ... while throwing a solid Pink 1/32oz RR (sorry, no pics taken on that trip).
    Had a trip to Green River Lake, Ky .... where I trolled 'em and cast'em ... with the results being large numbers of 2lb Crappie. Even got into some keeper (15") Walleyes with them, on another trip there ... bringing home 6 keepers out of the 8 fish boated (partner & myself)

ANYTIME I go Crappie fishing ..... whatever number of poles I have with me ... and regardless of which lake I go to --- ONE of those poles has a Roadrunner on it
    I've caught many species of fish, throwing Roadrunners ... Bass, Muskie, Walleye, Crappie, Catfish, Freshwater Drum, Hybrid Stripers, and a variety of Sunfish species :D And the majority of these were caught simply by casting and retrieving at a slow to moderate retrieve rate. And the only ones I've used, so far, are the Marabou style. I do have several bulk packs of "heads", that I'm gonna use with various "plastics" ... this upcoming season, just to see if they work as well as the "feathered" versions :p ......... luck2ya ... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast