Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any Ametaur Radio Operaters on Crappie.com?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do we have any Ametaur Radio Operaters on Crappie.com?

My wife and I recently got our technician class tickets for Ham radio. I was just wondering if there are any other radio guys or gals in the group. I finally got my callsign from the FCC last Monday and plan on studying for the general test when I can. Anyway, if you are a Ham please post up and if you like either tell us what you use or post a picture of your radio/radios.

I am looking forward to see other folks gear and comments.

Bobo KG5HSJ

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bobo .... I know of one hammy, my friend Gerald Cromer (member ID - gcromer) http://www.crappie.com/crappie/member.php?u=54

He probably won't see this, as he rarely posts outside of the SC forum, so you might want to PM him.

... cp
    Likes Bobo Greybeard LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

WD4ODS "inactive"
    Likes Bobo Greybeard LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a "Bootlegger" in the 80's using modified 11 meter stuff and talking everywhere I could hear. I had a lot of fun, just never went for the ticket. Haven't done anything with radio for many years. It was always fun.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Bobo Greybeard, RCC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a license for nearly 35 years and currently have a General class ticket. I haven't been active for the last 10 years but now that I've retired I have found myself thinking about it now and then. Who knows.... I might start playing with it again sometime.

Joe N9DBI

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

WB5YYM Extra class since the 70's. Haven't been active in years and all my HF gear is still stored since I took a big lightning strike back in the early 1990's. I may would drag it back out if we could get a 40 meter crappie net started . I have been active on vhf/uhf as of late since you can buy those boefeng ht's for a dime a dozen. Back in the day, I was big into CW dxing and built lots of big HF antennas and a few amps. Congratulations on the ticket. It's a great hobby and of great use in emergencies.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, I am sure you know this and I am positive that you know more than me about the subject, but they have the No code now. If you wanted to get back into it. I am really wanting to go after my general just so I can get the voice HF stuff. I will either go after it in the next month or so or wait till this time next year. I help with the Oklahoma BikeMS event every year and after about Aug. 1, I will be to busy with that to even think about studying for the test. Then when that is over at the end of September, my pouring business starts to take off again. LOL

Thank you to all that have responded,

Bobo KG5HSJ

ps,

for you guys that have gotten out of it, if you have gotten rid of your equipment. Check out the Baofeng UV-5R series of Handi Talkies on Amazon. They are a dual band commercial radio that also has FM, GMRS, UHF, VHF, Commercial and the free channels on them. I think we have about 40 bucks in ours including a "shoulder Mic", Covert mic, programming cable, charger, clip, rubber duck antenna, and radio. Kind of tough to beat for the price. If it was not for these radios being so cheap, I never would of been able to play ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Bobo .... I know of one hammy, my friend Gerald Cromer (member ID - gcromer) http://www.crappie.com/crappie/member.php?u=54

He probably won't see this, as he rarely posts outside of the SC forum, so you might want to PM him.

... cp
    X2 on Gerald Cromer, a fishing buddy of mine and a fine fellow to boot. I talk with him fairly regularly so I will mention to him, but PM him would be best.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    X2 on Gerald Cromer, a fishing buddy of mine and a fine fellow to boot. I talk with him fairly regularly so I will mention to him, but PM him would be best.
    I sent him a PM with a link to this thread in the link.

Thanks guys,

Bobo KG5HSJ

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up picking up a little kit to make a 40 meter CW transmitter off of Ebay. I bought two of them for about 11.00 to the house. I was thinking of keeping on it the tackle box or truck and one in my bug out pack. This is a picture of the circuit board inside of an Altoids can.

Name:  IMG_20150610_162652442[1].jpg
Views: 279
Size:  77.8 KB

I have not put it together yet as you can see. I am not sure if it includes a keyer or if I have to add one to it. If I have to add one to it, I found another kit for one of Ebay for about 11.00 dollars.

I was just shocked at how small the whole board is.

Bobo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast