Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 6/6/15

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 6/6/15

Heck of a windy day today, but we just had to get out there and wet a line. We launched at 8:00 am and pulled off at about 12:45 pm. Air temp was 60 degrees with the water hoovering around 67 - 68. Wind out of the northeast at around 5 - 10 mph when we started out; rapidly increasing to well over 15 mph by 11:30 am. One to two foot white caps were common.

We drifted Roadrunners as well as 1/16 & 1/8 oz. ball heads with straight tailed plastics. The morning started off with us releasing 36 crappie in the first hour. We were forced to end our morning after the waves and wind got excessive and it stopped becoming "fun", if you know what I mean. Our tally for the day was 134 fish; 128 being crappie, with one rainbow trout, 4 bluegill and one pickerel (which broke off my roadrunner at boatside!).

We were moving right along. Not sure of our drift speed, but you can figure, with 1' - 2' whitecaps pushing us along, we weren't dilly dallying one bit! Our jigs appeared to be water skiiing at one point, but the crappie didn't mind at all. Here are some pictures from today:

Name:  Scene.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  43.8 KB

A really nice day with a perfect drift. Here's what we were passing over, with our jigs well above their heads:

Name:  24_Feet.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  34.5 KB

And some pics of myself and my long time partner Walt. Alphabetically in order:

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  Rich_3.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  Rich_5.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  Rich_6.jpg
Size:  114.7 KB

And here are a few of Walt's fish:

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:  Walt_2.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  115.0 KB

Name:  Walt_3.jpg
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  Walt_4.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  140.5 KB

All these pics were obviously the largest catches of the day, but none of the crappie we got today were what I would call "small", by any stretch. An excellent day on the water and one which broke our last record of 105 fish. If the wind would have diminished, or at least maintained a reasonable speed, I feel confident that we'd have broke the 150 mark. But it was just too tough out there for us old folks!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

You fella's have really got that speed drift thing down pat. Thanks for sharing your day.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post and pix. Nice fish. Thanks.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Another fine trip and post . Thanks.